Fred On Everything ~ The Exodus Begins…
…..When I arrived in Mexico going on ten years ago, it was a mildly sleepy upper-Third World country, whatever that means—corrupt but not dangerous, not rich but hardly poor, barely middle-class overall and climbing, the mañana thing seldom noticeable, and women pouring into the professions. I parodied the American conception of Mexico as perilous hell-hole because it wasn’t. Not even close.
Then in 2006 Felipe Calderón became president, and declared war on the drug cartels. Mexicans I talk to think he did it under pressure from Washington, but I don’t know. Certainly Washington has done everything in its power to encourage it.
The war failed, as anyone with even a vague understanding of the world would have predicted. A war on drugs—foolish phrase—may be said to succeed if the price of drugs rises on the American street. It didn’t. It won’t…..
via Fred On Everything.
- The National played Beacon Theater w/ The War on Drugs (night 1 pics & setlist) (brooklynvegan.com)
- Cato Institute video: Ending the Global War on Drugs (boingboing.net)
- Want to end Mexican drug gang violence? (ephraiyim.wordpress.com)
- Want to end Mexican drug gang violence? Legalize drugs and the cartels will collapse (talesfromthelou.wordpress.com)
- Fred On Everything (gunnyg.wordpress.com)