Lesbian Judge Refuses to Marry Straight Couples
Lesbian Judge Refuses to Marry Straight CouplesBET ^ | 2/27/12 | Danielle WrightPosted on Thursday, March 01, 2012 10:38:17 AM by marshmallowTonya Parker says until same-sex licenses are legal in Texas, she will not sign the forms.
A Black, openly lesbian Texas judge is refusing to conduct straight-couple marriage ceremonies in her state until same-sex couples can wed.The judge, Tonya Parker, recently explained her decision during a Stonewall Democrats of Dallas monthly meeting.
“I do not perform them because it is not an equal application of the law. Period,” she said, reports the NY Daily News.Parker says she is using her decision as an opportunity to give a lesson about marriage equality in the state.
“So I usually will offer them something along the lines of, ‘I’m sorry. I don’t perform marriage ceremonies because we are in a state that does not have marriage equality, and until it does, I am not going to partially apply the law to one group of people that doesn’t apply to another group of people,’” she says
Read more at bet.com …
- Sex in the News: Boycotting Marriage Until All Can Marry (collegecandy.com)
- Tonya Parker, Dallas Judge, Won’t Conduct Marriage Ceremonies Until Same-Sex Couples Are Able To Wed In Texas (VIDEO) (huffingtonpost.com)
- Gay Texas Judge Refuses to Perform Marriage Ceremonies (maboulette.wordpress.com)
- On Tides and Counter Tides (mobilizingideas.wordpress.com)
- Gay Texas Judge Won’t Be Marrying Straights Until Same-Sex Marriage is Legal (inquisitr.com)
- Gay Texas Judge Refuses to Perform Marriage Ceremonies (homovizion.wordpress.com)
- Gay Dallas Judge Won’t Perform Marriages for Straight Couples Until She Can Get Married as Well (towleroad.com)
- Lesbian judge refuses to marry heterosexual couples (lifesitenews.com)