Prison Planet.com » Second MEP Calls ACTA Internet Treaty A Threat To Liberties
The groups pushing the treaty also want to empower copyright holders with the ability to demand that users who violate intellectual property rights (with no legal process) have their Internet connections terminated, a punishment that could only ever be properly enforced by the creation of an individual Internet ID card for every web user, a system that is already in the works.
“The same industry rightsholder groups that support the creation of ACTA have also called for mandatory network-level filtering by Internet Service Providers and for Internet Service Providers to terminate citizens’ Internet connection on repeat allegation of copyright infringement (the “Three Strikes” /Graduated Response) so there is reason to believe that ACTA will seek to increase intermediary liability and require these things of Internet Service Providers,” the Electronic Frontier Foundation has noted.
To date, 22 EU member states have signed the agreement, but it has not been retified by the parliament. In October last year, President Obama bypassed the Senate, as he generally does these days, and signed the US onto ACTA.
The legislation is currently the subject of a White House petition demanding Senators be forced to ratify the treaty. The White House has circumvented the necessity to have the treaty confirmed by lawmakers by presenting it an as “executive agreement,” although legal scholars have highlighted the dubious nature of this characterization.
- Obama Signs Global Internet Treaty Worse Than SOPA (activistpost.com)
- Can You Say Treason!!! (bullittcountyfreedomfighters.wordpress.com)
- Obama Signs Global Internet Treaty Worse Than SOPA (mountainrepublic.net)
- Prison Planet.com ” Obama Signs Global Internet Treaty Worse Than SOPA (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- New EU ACTA reviewer also recommends not signing it, calls ACTA a threat to civil liberties (boingboing.net)
- La Quadrature du Net: Encouraging Draft ACTA Report, Still Under Copyright Lobbies Influence (laquadrature.net)
- ACTA treaty deputizes Internet providers as copyright cops (news.cnet.com)
- Say NO to ACTA (papernomad.wordpress.com)
- Obama Signs Global Internet Treaty Worse Than SOPA: White House bypasses Senate to ink agreement that could allow Chinese companies to demand ISPs remove web content in US with no legal oversight (destructionist.wordpress.com)
- Paul Joseph Watson – ACTA Agreement (Worse Than SOPA And PIPA) – The Worlds Attempt To Internet Censorship – STOP THIS! – 26 January 2012 (lucas2012infos.wordpress.com)