Prison Planet.com » City Wants Executive Order to Ban Concealed Carry in Tampa During RNC
Turning a right into a privilege that can be revoked by bureaucrats
City Wants Executive Order to Ban Concealed Carry in Tampa During RNC
Tampa’s City Council wants Governor Rick Scott to pass an executive order banning concealed carry rights to coincide with protests at the Republican National Convention later this year.
“The thousands of protesters expected at the Democratic and Republican national conventions can come armed with a lot more than signs and slogans: State law in Florida and North Carolina allows concealed weapons, including guns,” reports the Sacramento Bee.
“The Tampa City Council wants Scott to issue an executive order, preventing people with concealed weapons permits from carrying guns.”
The executive order is required because according to Florida law, local officials are prohibited from pre-empting state gun statutes.
We’ve seen a similar assault on free speech rights with protesters being forced to ask the authorities for permits to exercise rights already guaranteed under the First Amendment.
Indeed, authorities in Tampa are already set to designate a “Clean Zone” where protesters are allowed to demonstrate. Although it hasn’t been decided where in relation to the actual RNC event this “Clean Zone” will be located, it’s normally kept well away from the central hub of activity, making it virtually worthless.in terms of generating media attention.
A d v e r t i s e m e n t
Council member Lisa Montelione’s claim made in a letter to Scott that the gun ban is necessary to “prevent a potential tragedy” is completely at odds with……..EXCERPT !!!!!
- No protest; no guns: Tampa, Florida asks, ‘How much of the Bill of Rights can we get rid of?’ (fromthetrenchesworldreport.com)
- No protest; no guns: Tampa, Florida asks, ‘How much of the Bill of Rights can we get rid of?’ (rt.com)
- You Can Bring A Real Gun To The Big Political Conventions This Year, But Not A Water Gun (businessinsider.com)
- Protester at party conventions could be armed (miamiherald.com)
- Tampa City Council votes to ask Gov. Rick Scott to let them ban concealed weapons outside of RNC (tampabay.com)
- Protesters at party conventions could be armed (staradvertiser.com)
- Protesters at Party Conventions Allowed Guns (usnews.com)
- Protesters at conventions could be armed (kshb.com)
- Concealed Weapons Laws Permit Guns In Republican, Democratic Conventions’ Protest Zones (mediaite.com)
- Protesters At Conventions Could Be Armed, Though Scott Could Ban in Tampa (tampa.cbslocal.com)