Will Pastors Risk Tax-Free Status to Help Save America?—Calling Black Robe Regiment II
By Kelly OConnell Sunday, April 29, 2012
imageLong before America’s current absolute separation of church and state, colonial pastors regularly preached on politics. According to historians, 18th century sermons decisively encouraged future revolutionaries to resist King George. Moreover, in Western history, important and far-reaching political doctrines were typically deduced first by pastors, Christian professors, and believing philosophers, etc. In fact, without these eminent and brave men, there would be no modern free and prosperous West.
But today, American Believers languish in a ghetto assembled for anyone suggesting religion should influence public policy. Yet, as our currency reveals, previously such influences were assumed. If our forebears were under the same secularist strictures seen today, the early West would have never escaped mediocrity.
This essay argues the Bible contains unique standards regarding mankind which, when correctly applied, benefit and protect everyone. Further, ministers, many loathe to mention politics for fear of government reprisal, must preach these things without dread. The only way these men can truly serve their flocks is by preaching the whole Gospel, not avoiding some because of menacing government masters. Remember Acts, 5:27-29
The apostles were brought before the Sanhedrin (Jewish Council) for questioning by the high priest. “We gave you strict orders not to teach in this name,” he said. “Yet you have filled Jerusalem with your teaching and are determined to make us guilty of this man’s blood.” Peter and the other apostles replied: “We must obey God rather than human beings!”
I. Black Robe Regiment
A. Who Were the Black Robe Regiment?
This regiment was simply colonial American clergy using God-given freedoms of speech to describe biblical norms on proper, non-tyrannical government rule. These men were instrumental in the education and preparation of American revolutionaries in decades before the War of Independence. Writes Rev Wayne C. Sedlak,
During the War of Independence were a group of heroic men referred to as the “Black Regiment”. The very name enraged the British armies. As war heroes, their courage & leadership were lauded from Massachusetts to Georgia. As a “regiment”, they never once drilled together, yet the strategic impact of their highly disciplined attacks was overwhelming. As a unit, they never fought together on a particular field of battle, yet without question, their leadership provided the spark which ignited victory after victory.
This “Black Regiment” was responsible for providing the conviction and wisdom necessary for winning a war against the cruelty of an unjust government. What was the “Black Regiment”? Actually, it wasn’t a regiment at all. It referred to the American Presbyterian, Congregationalist, and Baptist clergy.
British sympathizers (Loyalists), so named them because of the black robes worn by the ministers when they ascended their pulpits each Lord’s Day. The name “stuck”. Colonial enemies knew that the seeds of what the British called “sedition’’ or “revolution” were being sown in the pulpits of America. Without the outspoken, tenacious and courageous leadership exhibited by the pastors of the “Black Regiment”, it is doubtful whether American independence could ever have been achieved.
II. Government Rules Against Politics in the Pulpit
A. IRS & Freedom of Pulpit………………….EXCERPT
- Will Pastors Risk Tax-Free Status to Help Save America? – Calling Black Robe Regiment II (canadafreepress.com)
- The Black Robe Regiment (5ptsalt.com)
- April 19, 1775 (battlefieldusa.wordpress.com)
- The Man Who Fired The Shot Heard ‘Round The World (chuckbaldwinlive.com)
- The Black Regiment – Patriot-Preachers in America (musicians4freedom.com)
- Black Robe Regiment, or Do Only Wizards and Patriots Wear Robes? (theparish.typepad.com)
- Local, Christian ____? (theparish.typepad.com)
- Chuck Baldwin – The Man Who Fired The Shot Heard ‘Round The World (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- IF #7: BRIGADE, and What I Learned While Researching the Black Regiment (cherylkirknoll.blogspot.com)
- 54th Massachusetts Regiment (socyberty.com)
- WHY ARE INTERNMENT CAMPS BEING BUILT? ~ By Chuck Baldwin (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Chuck Baldwin – The Man Who Should Succeed Ron Paul (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Prison Planet.com ” The Man Who Should Be President ~ By: Chuck Baldwin (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- The Man Who Should Be President (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Chuck Baldwin – What Many Churches And The SPLC Have In Common (“For the sake of their precious 501c3 non-profit corporation status, many churches are becoming little more than government disinformation centers.”) (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- (“One thing is certain: those courageous champions at the Alamo did not die for a political party or for some “lesser of two evils” mantra”) Chuck Baldwin – Remembering The Alamo (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Chuck Baldwin – What Ron Paul’s Detractors Reveal (“He knows that the reason America is in the mess it is in today is because the Constitution has been abandoned. And he also knows that the only way to fix it politically is to return to constitutional gov (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Chuck Baldwin – “It’s Going To Take ‘We The People’” (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Chuck Baldwin — Ron Paul Is The Only Presidential Candidate Who Gets It (gunnyg.blogspot.com)
- ARMY REPORT SAYS CHRISTIANS THREATEN US FOREIGN POLICY ~ By Chuck Baldwin (network54.com)
- States prepare brakes on citizen-detention option (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Chuck Baldwin – Christians Feed Their Own To The Lions (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Never Believe the Government or Media (lewrockwell.com)
- Betty Freauf – Ron Paul Was There All the Time (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- From Apostasy Watch – Chuck Baldwin’s Blatant Appeal to Violence (kimolsen.wordpress.com)
- Growth of third parties reflects voter unease: Constitution Party makes Wyoming ballot (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Weaponizing Religion: Romans 13 Co-Author Tim Baldwin Reports (musicians4freedom.com)
- “Unlike his northern counterpart, Ulysses S. Grant, General Lee never sanctioned or condoned slavery” (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Why Is Alec Baldwin Laughing? (allyouneedisagoodidea.typepad.com)
- Adam Baldwin Previews His Castle Visit (Firefly Shout-Outs Included), Reflects on Chuck Finale (tvline.com)
- Chuck’s Message Video Archive (chuckbaldwinlive.com)
- Argylls and Dragoons set to be scrapped (scotsman.com)