Honor Bound Not To Vote For Romney…
By J.D. Longstreet Thursday, May 17, 2012
Commentators of all stripes catch heat from their readers frequently. It goes with the territory.
Months back I declared that I would not vote for Romney … period. Apparently, it has been more than a little difficult for some to understand why a conservative, especially a conservative who consistently harps on Obama’s failings and declares that Obama must be voted out of office to save the
country, publicly announces HE will not vote for the conservative candidate most likely to unseat Obama.
Ordinarily, I would not bother to respond to the inquiries, but since so many conservatives find my position so puzzling, I have “evolved”, as the President might say, to a point that I have decided maybe I ought to clear the air and explain why I have taken such an immovable, and seemingly contrarian, position.
There’s no secret, no mystery. I gave my word that I would not vote for Romney, either in the primary or the Presidential election. That may not mean much anymore, but it means everything to me. I gave my readers my word and I intend to stand by it. Why? Because it is the honorable thing to do.
I learned how to be a contrarian from my father. If he felt he was right he would take his position, even if it was against the majority, even if it went against the popular position at the time—and he would not be moved come hell or high water. He rarely ever volunteered his opinion, but if you asked, you got his honest opinion—and he did not sugar-coat it. If you didn’t like it—tough. He drilled into me: “Tell the truth, son. ALWAYS tell the truth, even if it hurts, even if it is going to cost you, tell the truth. It is the honorable thing to do.”
Oftimes, honor is seen as intransigence in the modern age. OK. I accept that. Call me stubborn, or whatever, but I have no choice but to stick by my personal declaration made previously concerning voting for Mr. Romney. I cannot, and I won’t.
It does present a problem for me, however…………
- Vote for Romney (canadafreepress.com)
- Libertarian Leanings of Young Voters Dampen Obama’s Appeal (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Election Sea Change (scottsholar.com)
- Vote now: Can George W. Bush’s tepid Romney endorsement finally unseat Daniels? (abcnews.go.com)
- Rasmussen: Obama 43, Romney 50 (minx.cc)
- The Nation: Gay Marriage Caught Romney Off Guard (wnyc.org)
- Romney leading Obama with women! (halfsigma.com)
- Romney seeks evangelical votes; opposes gay marriage – Reuters (reuters.com)
- Bracketing the General Presidential Election (538refugees.wordpress.com)
- Hump Day Link-Around (nicedeb.wordpress.com)
- Romney to graduates: Honor family duties – TheReporter.com (thereporter.com)
- Romney urges grads to honor family commitments – St. Augustine Record (staugustine.com)
- It’s Romney’s to Lose: Here’s How He Does It (ronpaulnews.net)
- Romney’s Clintonesque Moment (themoderatevoice.com)
- Would Mitt Romney Be the Most Right-Wing President Ever? (motherjones.com)
- Delegate From Arizona Marko Trickovic Spills Beans On Blatant Fraud @ State Convention (dailypaul.com)
- Is Romney’s candidacy stronger than McCain’s? (macleans.ca)
- Bully Romney and the Gay Vote (readersupportednews.org)
- Nebraska Republicans choose insurgent for Senate (dailystar.com.lb)
- Honor Bound Not To Vote For Romney… (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Honor Bound Not To Vote For Romney (canadafreepress.com)
- With Wright comes talk of race (politico.com)
- It’s Romney’s to Lose: Here’s How He Does It (runronpaul.com)