(Re Col Hackworth – Admiral Boorda) Jeremy Michael Boorda – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Boorda died May 16, 1996 a suicide, having apparently shot himself in the chest. The autopsy results were not released to the public. He reportedly also left two suicide notes; neither was released publicly, but they were said to have been addressed to his wife and to his Public Information Officer.
He was reported to have been distraught over a news media investigation, led by David Hackworth of Newsweek, into Valor device enhancements he wore on his Navy Commendation Medal and Navy Achievement Medal (small bronze “V” devices, signifying valor in combat), which the media report claimed he was not entitled to wear. He was said to be worried this issue would cause more trouble for the Navy’s reputation.
Former CNO Elmo Zumwalt, who was Boorda’s commander in Vietnam, wrote a letter to the effect that Boorda’s wearing of the devices was “appropriate, justified and proper.” Wearing a “V” to denote that a medal was awarded for in combat actions applied only to medals that could be awarded for meritorious service or for valor in combat (e.g. Bronze Star or Commendation Medal), as opposed to medals inherently distinguishing valor in combat (e.g. Silver Star and higher), and wearing the “V” device on the ribbon was not authorized unless the “V” device was specifically noted in the award citation……
- (Adm Boorda) Gunny G’s Marines History and Traditions: Articles By Tom McKenney, LtCol USMC (Ret.), 1997, etc. (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Gunny G’s Marines History and Traditions: Adm Boorda, Col Hackworth, and now Gen Wesley Clark (Ret) (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- “The Day Admiral Boorda Died” – 16 Years Later and Still No Autopsy or “Suicide” Letters Released (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Gunny G’s Marines History and Traditions: Hackworth’s error Compared To Boorda Case (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Grand Delusion ” Admiral Boorda (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Schofield Barracks soldiers honored after year-long deployment to Afghanistan (kitv.com)
- White House dinner tribute to Iraq vets (whitehouse.blogs.cnn.com)
- Gunny G: The Term “Perfumed Prince” Caught My Eye… (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Gunny G: Col Hackworth’s Term “Perfumed Prince” Caught My Eye… (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Articles about Admiral Boorda – Baltimore Sun (gunnyg.wordpress.com)