Sultan Knish a blog by Daniel Greenfield
The magazine business isn’t what it used to be. In the last ten years, Newsweek lost 2.5 million readers, and its newsstand sales are hardly worth mentioning. A full-page ad in it costs less than the price of a luxury car. Sold for a buck to the husband of an influential Congresswoman, merged with an internet site, it survives only by building issues around provocative essays and covers.
If you want to understand why Newsweek put a badly photoshopped picture of Obama with a gay halo on its cover or features Romney doing a number from The Book of Mormon, you need only look at those numbers. Fifteen years ago desperate tactics like that were for alt weeklies like The Village Voice, but Time and Newsweek are the new Village Voice. Or the new Salon.
There is no news business anymore, just media trolls looking for a traffic handout, feeding off manufactured controversies that they create and then report on. Magazines and sites struggling to stay alive while preaching to a narrow audience which likes essays by leftist cranks and mocking pictures of conservatives. And they’re not alone; any magazine that still covers politics, covers it in the same exact way.
- Daniel Greenfield: Gutman isn’t completely wrong (bokertov.typepad.com)
- What next? (bokertov.typepad.com)
- Sultan Knish joins the circular firing squad of Geller & Schlussel (bokertov.typepad.com)
- INTERCESSORS: Sultan Knish profiles the MIBs (bokertov.typepad.com)
- Sultan Knish is a “hate group”? (bokertov.typepad.com)
- The Forwardism Disease (johnmalcolm.me)
- The Council Has Spoken!! This Week’s Watchers Council Results (independentsentinel.com)
- The Empire of Poverty (johnmalcolm.me)
- When Jews Are Ethnically Cleansed From Jerusalem, It’s Called Diplomacy (ifaynsh.wordpress.com)
- Tibbi Singer’s Daily Roundup: Be the Best Sheigetz You Can Be… (jewishpress.com)