DOJ to Florida: Don’t You Dare Clean Up Your Voter Rolls
A simple way to help prevent voter fraud and election abuse is for states to purge voter rolls. What does this mean? Getting rid of names on voter rolls of people ineligible to vote such as illegal aliens, dead people, duplicates, etc. For nearly a year, Florida election officials have asked the Department of Homeland Security for access to the Immigration and Customs Enforcement database in order to take illegal aliens and non-citizens off Florida voter rolls. Not surprisingly, DHS has been dragging its feet and has yet to comply with the request and now, the Department of Justice is stepping into the purging process and ordering Florida, a vital swing state, to stop.
The Justice Department sent a letter to Florida Secretary of State Ken Detzner Thursday evening demanding the state cease purging its voting rolls because the process it is using has not been cleared under the Voting Rights Act, TPM has learned.
DOJ also said that Florida’s voter roll purge violated the National Voter Registration Act, which stipulates that voter roll maintenance should have ceased 90 days before an election, which given Florida’s August 14 primary, meant May 16.
Five of Florida’s counties are………
- Feds order Florida to halt ongoing push to remove ineligible voters from rolls. (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- DOJ eyes Florida voter roll purge of non-U.S. citizens (politico.com)
- BREAKING: Justice Department Demands Florida Stop Voter Purge (thinkprogress.org)
- DOJ to Florida: Stop noncitizen voter purge. Will FL fight DOJ? (miamiherald.typepad.com)
- Justice Department Demands Florida Stop Purging Voter Rolls (tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com)
- Florida defends voter roll ‘purge’ after protest from DOJ (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
- Justice Department To Florida: Stop The Voter Purge (crooksandliars.com)
- Judge Blocks Part Of Florida Voter Law; DOJ Demands Halt To Purge (ibtimes.com)
- Department of Justice orders Rick Scott to stop voter purge (dailykos.com)
- Justice Department Demands End to Florida Voter Purge (news.firedoglake.com)