Prison Planet.com » Law Student Takes Cop To School After Being Illegally Stopped For Carrying Gun
In a remarkable exchange that shows exactly why it pays to know your rights, a law student in Portland, Maine backed down a police officer who had stopped him for no reason other than he was carrying a gun.
After clearly stating that he did not consent to any searches or seizures, the student asked the officer what crime he had been suspected of committing.
The officer stated that he had received calls about a man carrying a gun.
“That is not illegal. Can I have my gun back and be on my way?” the student notes during the incident while filming it on his phone.
“In order to stop me you have to suspect me of a crime.” the man notes.
As Maine is a traditional open carry state, it is perfectly legal and acceptable to carry a firearm openly.
The officer, J McDonald, asks for ID, which the man declines to provide on the grounds that he has not been told he is suspected of any wrongdoing.
In a hilarious moment, a female police officer, off camera, asks the man what he has under his shirt, to which he replies “suspenders to keep my pants up”.
Eventually the officer concedes that the man is free to go and take his gun with him.
Although in this instance………….
- ‘It’s My Gun’: Minn. Man Beaten, Arrested for Reportedly Carrying Handgun… Despite Having Concealed Carry Permit (tarpon.wordpress.com)
- Video: Legal Open Carry Man Cites Law, Cops Back Down (dailypaul.com)
- Erie man charged with illegally carrying gun (goerie.com)
- If You’re A Pro-Gun, Second Amendment US Citizen, This Video Is For YOU (theaveragejoenewsblogg.com)
- Detained for Open Carry in Portland, Maine (musicians4freedom.com)
- Prison Planet.com ” City Wants Executive Order to Ban Concealed Carry in Tampa During RNC (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- STANDING HER GROUND: ‘I carry a gun all the time’ says woman who thwarted Macon holdup attempt…. (pjmedia.com)
- Denver Mayor Michael Hancock hopes for a day guns are as unhip as cigarettes (blogs.denverpost.com)
- Charges won’t be dropped against 18-year-old Troy teen arrested for carrying gun in Birmingham (clickondetroit.com)
- Minn. Man Beaten, Arrested for Carrying Legal Gun Gives New Details to The Blaze (Feared Death and Wasn’t Drinking) (realthinktank.com)