Has the normalizing of pedophilia begun?
Do people who rape children, or fantasize about sexually abusing them, deserve sympathy – because they were born with the brains of pedophiles?
CNN recently featured a story by James Cantor, a homosexual psychologist and scientist at the Sexual Behaviors Clinic of the Center for Addiction and Mental Health who serves as associate professor of psychiatry at the University of Toronto.
“It appears that one can be born with a brain predisposed to experience sexual arousal in response to children,” he wrote in his CNN piece.
He continued, “Cases of child molestation that involve long strings of victims over the course of years illustrate what can happen when someone gives in to, or outright indulges, his sexual interests, regardless of its potential damage on others. It is those cases that dominate headlines and provoke revulsion toward pedophiles.
“But they are rare. An untold number of cases merit sympathy.
“The science suggests that they are people who, through no fault of their own, were born with a sex drive that they must continuously resist, without exception, throughout their entire lives. Little if any assistance is ever available for them.”
According to the American Psychological Association, Cantor is passionate about the neurological underpinnings of sexual behavior and jokes, “I feel lucky to have found a way to stimulate my brain intellectually by indulging myself in thinking about sex all the time.”
He has studied the brains of male pedophiles using magnetic resonance imaging. Cantor explained his findings:
“Pedophilic men have significantly less white matter, which is the connective tissue that is responsible for communication between different regions in the brain. Pedophiles perform more poorly on various tests of brain function, tend to be shorter in height and are three times more likely to be left-handed or ambidextrous (characteristics that are observable before birth). Although nonbiological features may yet turn up to be relevant, it is difficult, if not impossible, to explain the research findings without there being a strong role of biology.”
- Does Mo Dowd think Celibacy = Pedophilia? (patheos.com)
- Meet pedophiles who mean well (salon.com)
- Do pedophiles deserve sympathy? (cnn.com)
- Has the normalizing of pedophilia begun? (wnd.com)
- Jerry Sandusky Trial: What Makes a Pedophile Tick? (ideas.time.com)
- Do Pedophiles Deserve Our Sympathy? (slog.thestranger.com)
- Stop perfect crime of pedophilia (utsandiego.com)
- SL Letter of the Day: Where’s My Gold Star? (slog.thestranger.com)
- Jerry Sandusky Trial: What Makes A Pedophile Tick? (ideas.time.com)
- Pedophilia Documentarian: “Eighteen Is Just A Number” (buzzfeed.com)