Spin cycle! Feds enlist journalist to control media
The U.S. Agency for International Development, or USAID, is enlisting private-sector assistance to “lead rapid response efforts to correct erroneous or misleading news accounts.”
The agency on Tuesday re-launched its recruitment of a senior press liaison, who among other tasks must embark upon “aggressive outreach efforts” and “forge productive relationships” with international as well as Afghan news organizations, according to a Personal Services Contract, or PSC, notice – Solicitation Number SOL-306-12-000025-01/OPPD – that WND located the via routine database research.
Just last year, U.S. foreign aid to Afghanistan was the subject of a damning comprehensive congressional report that found billions of dollars of American aid may have been used to fuel corruption and create programs that would collapse as soon as the U.S. exited the region, causing dependency and future economic troubles for the poverty-stricken country.
In 2010, a media report exposed a $60 million “mismanaged” USAID project that left Afghans “angered over project failures, secrecy and wasted funds.”
This latest contracting action is only one of many media-monitoring and news-manipulation endeavors that USAID and the U.S. Department of State recently have launched.
Among the numerous government media initiatives that WND has exposed is the Obama administration’s comprehensive plan to influence African and global media on how they portray U.S. involvement in Kenya.
Obama, likewise, is creating the equivalent of propaganda ministry that will leverage the assistance of “global news coverage service providers” who will create and disseminate department “news.”
USAID, in this most recent project, is aiming to hire a press liaison with an extensive background as a working journalist – someone possessing not just deep knowledge of what news organizations need, but, most importantly, an exhaustive understanding of how the U.S. government might enable those media to meet their editorial needs.
The liaison therefore must be “persistent, tactful and thorough in gathering and placing stories,” the PSC emphasized.
- White House Rolls Out Kenya Propaganda Plan (tradeaidmonitor.com)
- White House rolls out Kenya propaganda plan (wnd.com)
- George Orwell would say, “I told you so.” (thedifferencesofus.com)
- Spin cycle! Feds enlist journalist to control media (wnd.com)
- USAID Presents New Development Cooperation Strategy for Ethiopia (ethioandinet.wordpress.com)
- Obama Diverts River of US Taxpayer Money Into Kenyan Pockets (moonbattery.com)
- The “Second Apology” Tour (battleland.blogs.time.com)
- Obama: Slaughter of Christians a misunderstanding (wnd.com)
- In Afghanistan, ex-USAID contractor goes to prison (devex.com)