Who Really Invented the Internet?
Contrary to legend, it wasn’t the federal government, and the Internet had nothing to do with maintaining communications during a war.
A telling moment in the presidential race came recently when Barack Obama said: “If you’ve got a business, you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.” He justified elevating bureaucrats over entrepreneurs by referring to bridges and roads, adding: “The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all companies could make money off the Internet.”
It’s an urban legend that the government launched the Internet. The myth is that the Pentagon created the Internet to keep its communications lines up even in a nuclear strike. The truth is a more interesting story about how innovation happens—and about how hard it is to build successful technology companies even once the government gets out of the way.
…by the 1960s technologists were trying to connect separate physical communications networks into one global network—a “world-wide web.” The federal government was involved, modestly, via the Pentagon’s Advanced Research Projects Agency Network. Its goal was not maintaining communications during a nuclear attack, and it didn’t build the Internet. Robert Taylor, who ran the ARPA program in the 1960s, sent an email to fellow technologists in 2004 setting the record straight: “The creation of the Arpanet was not motivated by considerations of war. The Arpanet was not an Internet. An Internet is a connection between two or more computer networks.”
If the government didn’t invent the Internet, who did?
(Excerpt) Read more at professional.wsj.com …
- Internet revisionism (openitstrategies.com)
- President Obama Is Right (donemmerich.blogspot.com)
- Obama To Business: You Didn’t Do It On Your Own (sweetness-light.com)
- Is Obama Really Anti-Business? (governmentinexile.typepad.com)
- Obama is a self-declared Marxist (rebaneruminations.typepad.com)
- Meet the Man Who Invented the Instructions for the Internet (wired.com)
- Analysis: Obama: I Hate Business and So Should You! (gestetnerupdates.com)
- Obama: “If you’ve got a business – you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.” (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Barack Obama says government invented the internet and the American Dream is a fantasy (blogs.telegraph.co.uk)
- Internet History Timeline: ARPNET to the World Wide Web (livescience.com)