Media Invents Story That Chick-fil-A President Condemned Gay Marriage
Last week, reports emerged that Chick-fil-A president Dan Cathy had condemned gay marriage. It’s no secret that the company is run by devout Christians, but this still caused an uproar. Boston‘s mayor threatened to deny the company business permits, celebrities condemned the company, and the Muppets announced fast food chain wouldn’t be able to license any new toys for their kids meals.
One small problem: The president of Chick-fil-A never actually said anything condemning gay marriage. Here’s how CNN reported the story: —
(CNN)–The fact that Chick-fil-A is a company that espouses Christian values is no secret. The fact that its 1,600 fast-food chicken restaurants across the country are closed on Sundays has long been testament to that.
“Guilty as charged,”, Cathy said when asked about his company’s support of the traditional family unit as opposed to gay marriage.
“We are very much supportive of the family – the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that,” Cathy is quoted as saying. —
But Terry Mattingly at the website GetReligion (where I am an occasional contributor) notes that if you look at the original context of the interview, Cathy wasn’t asked specifically asked about gay marriage nor did he say anything about it. Here’s the actual interview CNN and others cited from the Biblical Recorder and that was carried by the Baptist Press:
(Excerpt) Read more at weeklystandard.com …
- Muppets, Huckabee take sides in Chick-fil-A same-sex marriage controversy (news.blogs.cnn.com)
- Chick-fil-a Faces Fury Over Gay Marriage Stance (judgementofamerica.wordpress.com)
- Cenk & crew give up Chick-fil-A sandwiches – and their anti-gay agenda – for good (current.com)
- Muppets Dump Chick-Fil-A In Support Of Marriage Equality (brandtstandard.com)
- Editorial: Menino, don’t block Chick-fil-A (bostonglobe.com)
- Chick-fil-A: if you’re not sure, this is how fascism works (patheos.com)
- Jim Henson company severs Chick-Fil-A ties over anti-LGBT policy (wtvr.com)
- Chick-fil-A ‘Voluntarily’ Nixes Muppet Toys (patheos.com)
- Someone Is Defending Chick-Fil-A With Fake Facebook Profiles (buzzfeed.com)
- Will Chick-fil-A Pay a Price for Its Anti-Gay Marriage Stance? (dailyfinance.com)