Powerful NYC pol says she blasted Chick-fil-A as a citizen – but she used official letterhead
she used her official letterhead and even invoked her position as City Council speaker to apply pressure on the embattled chicken chain.
New York City Council Speaker Christine Quinn, who has mayoral aspirations, sent a letter to New York University president John Sexton on Saturday asking the school to immediately end their contract with the fast food restaurant. The Atlanta-based company’s sole New York City outlet is in the school’s food court.
“I write as the Speaker of the NYC Council, and on behalf of my family. NYC is a place where we celebrate diversity. We do not believe in denigrating others. We revel in the diversity of all our citizens and their families,” the letter begins.
“Let me be clear ‐‐ I do not want establishments in my city that hold such discriminatory views,” Quinn, an open lesbian who recently married her longtime partner, also wrote in the letter. “We are a city that believes our diversity is our greatest strength and we will fight anything and anyone that runs counter to that.”
‘If we allow something like this, then the next letter might be concerning someone’s view on abortion.’
- NYC Council member Peter Vallone
“As such I urge you to sever your relationship
with the Chick‐fil‐A establishment that exists on your campus,” the speaker added.
The letter has drawn the ire from others on the council.
“She can write to someone as a council member, but if she states that she is writing as the Speaker it can only be on behalf of the entire council. She has to have the majority vote of the council, and I don’t recall voting on this…,”
(Excerpt) Read more at foxnews.com …
- Chick-fil-A: Democrats’ Jihad Against Christians (“Make no mistake about it; this is much bigger than Dan Cathy and Chick-fil-A.”) (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- The anti-hate hate mob grows (legalinsurrection.com)
- There’s A Battle Brewing Over The Only Chick-Fil-A In New York City (businessinsider.com)
- Quinn Breaks With Bloomberg Over Chick-fil-A: ‘Not Welcome’ in NYC (politicker.com)
- Editorial: The Chick-fil-A Business (nytimes.com)
- NYC City Council Speaker Christine Quinn Asks NYU President to Kick Chick-fil-A Off its Campus (towleroad.com)
- NYC City Council Speaker pressing Chick-fil-A to get out of town (rawstory.com)
- Anti-Gay Chick-fil-A Attracts Losers, Repels Prominent Leaders, Universities, And The Public (thinkprogress.org)
- NYC mayor: Chick-fil-A flap not govt’s business (newsobserver.com)
- Christine Quinn Wants Chick-fil-A Kicked Out of New York City (theatlanticwire.com)
- Chick-fil-A president: Gay marriage is ‘inviting God’s judgment on our nation’ (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Let’s Celebrate Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day! (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Evangelist Billy Graham defends Chick-fil-A (compares U.S. to Sodom & Gomorrah) (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- You Didn’t Fil-A That: Chicken fight is only round one (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Buy Chik Fil A Today! (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Prison Planet.com ” The Attack On Chick-Fil-A Is An Attack On The Freedom Of Speech Of Every American (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Hey, Boston: Leave Chick-fil-A Alone (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Chick-Fil-A protest could boomerang (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Even TIME Says Mayors Emanuel and Menino Wronging Chick-Fil-A (canadafreepress.com)