Five years on, the Great Recession is turning into a life sentence
Five years into the Long Slump it almost seems as if we are back to square one.
China is sufficiently alarmed by the flint hardness of its “soft-landing” to talk up trillions of fresh stimulus. The
European Central Bank is preparing to print “whatever it takes”to save Spain and Italy. Markets are pricing in an 80pc chance of yet more printing by the US Federal Reserve in September or soon after.
There is no doubt that the three superpowers acting in concert can launch a mini-cycle of growth early next year – assuming they deliver on their rhetoric – but twin headwinds of debt-leveraging and excess manufacturing plant across the globe cannot easily be conjured away.
The world remains in barely contained slump. Industrial output is still below earlier peaks in Germany (-2), US (-3), Canada (-8) France (-9), Sweden (-10), Britain (-11), Belgium (-12), Japan (-15), Hungary (-15) Italy (-17), Spain (-22), Greece (-27), according to St Louis Fed data. By that gauge this is proving more intractable than the Great Depression.
Some date the crisis to August 9 2007, the day it became clear that Europe’s banks were up to their necks in US housing debt. The ECB flooded markets with €95bn of liquidity. It seemed a lot of money then. The term “trillion” was still banned by the Telegraph style book in those innocent days. We have since learned to swing with the modern dance music from central banks.
The defining moment was twelve days later when yields on 3-month US Treasury bills to crashed from 3.76pc to 2.55pc in just two hours. At first we thought it was a mistake, a screen glitch. Nothing like this had happened before, not during the crashes of 1929 or 1987, or after the Twin Towers attack
(Excerpt) Read more at telegraph.co.uk …
- The limited value of recent history (maddowblog.msnbc.com)
- The Crisis of Liberalism… (“If his heralded new majority for change does not triumph in congressional and state elections in 2012 or …”) (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- It’s A Centrally-Planned World After All, With Ever Diminishing Returns (zerohedge.com)
- Tavis Smiley: Poverty is the new slavery (cbsnews.com)
- (“Is The US Run By A Military Junta? It might as well be”) Washington’s Militarized Mindset by Tom Engelhardt (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- A Mosque Is Not Like a Church or a Synagogue (“The marked proliferation of mosques in the U.S. since 9/11 should raise a red flag for Americans. Recent controversies surrounding mega-mosque construction projects countrywide – many in locations with almost (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Gunny G: (is Democracy Really Mob Rule; Is “Genuine” Democracy Preferable to This “Republic”: ?) Democracy Vs. Republic: Another Valid View… ” Citizen.blogger.1984+ Gunny.g Blog.email (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- OBAMA MENTALLY ILL… ~ J. Grant Swank, Jr. ” CITIZEN.BLOGGER.1984+ GUNNY.G BLOG.EMAIL (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- (GyG Blog: Gy G Reader Response: Thank God Ron Paul is still crazy, nothing like those Republican Appointees ” CITIZEN.BLOGGER.1984+ GUNNY.G BLOG.EMAIL (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Gunny G: So, How In The World Did Obama Ever Come To Be POTUS? HINT: He Didn’t Do It All By Himself ! (gunnyg.wordpress.com)