The American Dream, or the Dreams of Obama’s Father?
…..Given this bit of President Obama’s familial history, it is not surprising that throughout his public life he himself has advocated for many of the same ideas that his father did over half
During the last presidential election cycle, alone, then-Senator Obama pushed for higher income taxes on “the rich” and higher business taxes on “excess profits” (his definition of “rich” and “excessive” changed almost weekly during the campaign); higher taxes on energy companies; government-imposed limits on private corporate salaries; and – his father would be so proud – higher taxes on dividend earnings. He even suggested at one point that the U.S. government should start taxing capital – not a new tax on interest or dividends derived from investment capital, but a tax on money sitting in banks doing nothing.
Now, four years later, the President is running for re-election in an economic environment made weaker by his own policies and ideas. And it is easy to dismiss as “mere politics” the President’s obsession with Mr. Romney’s net worth, his past work at a venture capital firm, and his annual tax returns – presumably the President is trying to portray Mr. Romney as a heartless aristocrat who is “out of touch” with everyday middleclass Americans.
But given what we know of President Obama and his expressed views of the world, it also stands to reason that, for him, the wealth that private citizen Mitt Romney possesses – as well as the wealth possessed by other private citizens like Mr. Romney – really is the most serious problem facing America today. Even just last week, amid more negative economic reports, the President delivered yet another of his speeches on his “new vision of America where prosperity is shared.”
What the President does not seem to understand (and what his father seemingly never understood), is that prosperity must first be created – by inventors, executives, entrepreneurs, investors, small business owners, and yes – sometimes even by “rich people” – before it can be re-distributed and “shared” by anybody. And if a society chooses to punish its wealthy members with ever-expanding taxation, rather than encouraging them to create more wealth, then eventually even the smartest of politicians run out of wealth to re-distribute……
- November’s Choices by Andrew P. Napolitano… (“We are in terrible straits this presidential election. We have a choice between a president who has posed more of a Andrew Napolitano & Tom Woods Andrew Napolitano & Tom Woods (Photo credit: Gage Skidmore (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Before It’s News | News | The Corruption Of America Is Complete (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Worshipping the Idol of Government (lewrockwell.com)
- Obama Will Win (lewrockwell.com)
- OBAMA MENTALLY ILL… ~ J. Grant Swank, Jr. ” CITIZEN.BLOGGER.1984+ GUNNY.G BLOG.EMAIL (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Obama’s Communist Mentor… (“Americans have lived through nearly four years of what can only be described as an attempt to take over our government and “fundamentally transform” it away from the limits of the Constitution to a nation in which …”) (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- In 2014, The Obama Dictatorship Will Be Complete (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- (Col Sellin) Mitt Romney is Barack Obama’s White Half – English pravda.ru (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- NUCLEAR WAR-FEAR: Consequences of America’s ’1st Muslim president’ (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Dishonorable Disclosures… (“Intelligence and Special Operations forces are furious and frustrated at how President Obama and those in positions of authority have exploited their service for political advantage.”) (gunnyg.wordpress.com)