(Gunny G: As Always, See Reader Responses…) ~ By year’s end, troops will be unable to respond to crises, Pentagon says
By year’s end, troops will be unable to respond to crises, Pentagon says
Federal News Radio ^ | 4 Feb 13 | Jared Serbu
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2013 6:34:34 PM by SkyPilot
Every leader in the Pentagon has been warning for more than a year that if sequestration comes to pass the impact to the military will be severe. But the armed services’ most senior officers now are telling Congress those impacts are not a distant prospect — they could be looking at a “hollowed-out” force within a matter of months after the cuts are triggered.
When the Defense Department directed the military services last month to start conserving funds, it was a good sign that the Pentagon now believes the long-threatened automatic budget cuts actually will take place. Ashton Carter, the deputy secretary of Defense, gave weight to that view last week when he acknowledged in an interview with Bloomberg that sequestration now appears “more likely than unlikely.”
But the military’s leadership is pressing hard to make sure Congress understands its point of view on what sequestration would actually mean should it take effect midway through a fiscal year in which a DoD budget still has not been enacted.
A letter to lawmakers, signed by each member of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, opened with the admonition that “the readiness of our armed forces is at a tipping point. We are on the brink.”
“We don’t sign 28-star letters very often,” Adm. James Winnefeld, the vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs, told an AFCEA convention in San Diego last week. “We did it because we are at serious risk of rapidly sliding into a hollow force.”
(Excerpt) Read more at federalnewsradio.com …