|28 May 10: For me, Gary Lynn Grimes symbolizes the young men and women who gave (and continue to give) their lives in one unnecessary war after another. A republication of this tribute is a tradition at FlyoverPress.com. — the(ex)gunny, 419
Hey Grimes, what’s up dude?
Dr. Jimmy T (Gunny) LaBaume
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he today that sheds his blood with me Shall be my brother.Shakespeare, Henry IV, Act IV, Scene 3
19 Nov 02
Hey Grimes, what’s up? How are things going for you up there in Valhalla? With Memorial Day coming, I thought I’d drop you a line. I don’t talk about it much, but there has not been a single day in over 32 years that I haven’t thought about you.
I remember the first time we met. It was in Staging Battalion at Camp Pendleton. At the ripe old age of 24, I was a good deal older than average. You’ve heard of the generation gap? Well, I was the gap. I had little in common with the guys of my rank, with whom I was allowed to socialize. But, although you were still very young, you were different–an enthusiastic, bubbling, peached faced kid from Amarillo, TX. Remember our big plans for me to teach you to ride bulls and bareback horses when we got back to the world? Boy, what a couple of dreamers!
When we got in country, you went to 5th Marines and I went to 2nd Battalion, 11th Marines. Since my Battalion and your Regimental Headquarters were both at An Hoa , we had several chances to see each other and renew our friendship. Any time that you were there, you always made a point of finding me, as I did you when I would pass through.
I’ll never forget the last time I saw you. It was about a month before we were due to rotate. You had been out with a CAP unit and showed up at my hooch wearing a flight suit and sporting a 45 in a shoulder holster. I didn’t ask where you got the flight suit and shoulder holster–just figured that you had traded some air-winger an AK (or something) for them. I’ll never forget the last conversation we had.
“Hey Grimes, what’s up dude?”
“Man, I’m being MedEvaced to Japan!”
I checked you out. You seemed to have all your appendages and didn’t seem to have any extra holes. “MedEvaced? What for?”
“Man, I’m eat up with parasites.”
“Parasites! Man that’s great!!! By the time they get you to Japan and get you cleaned up, it’ll be time to rotate.”
We knew that you had it made so we celebrated. As I recall, we snuck out into Duc Duc and captured a couple of liters of Gook banana rum. What a night! The next morning I sent you off. “See ya back in the world dude!”
When rotation day came and I got on the freedom bird, I was fully expecting to see you in a few days. The first morning back on Okinawa, I ran into Piasaki. Remember him? He was a mutual friend that had gone through Staging Battalion with us. That’s another conversation I’ll never forget.
“Hey man, did you know that Grimes is dead?”
“Naw, bullshit, Grimes ain’t dead.”
“Yea, he is too.”
“No he ain’t. I saw him less than a month ago and he was being MedEvaced to Japan.”
“I’m telling you he’s dead. I kicked his body the next morning. I was part of the relief force that got too them right after daylight. The VC overran his CAP unit and killed them all. It looked like Grimes had been one of the last left fighting. He had about 30 AK rounds point blank in his chest.”
I refused to believe it. I just came home and tried to burry it. I never made any attempt to contact you or your family–guess I didn’t want to believe it. Then finally, in 1983, I went to the wall and there you were—Panel 09W, Line 52, Gary Lynn Grimes. Born 01 June 1949 in Amarillo, Texas. Died 13 June 1970 in Quang Nam, South Vietnam. I cried.
It has only been just recently that I located your family. They are still in Amarillo and, from what little I know, seem to be doing well. Although I have your parents’ and brother’s addresses and phone numbers, I have still made no attempt to contact any of them. That is a wrong that terribly needs to be righted and, I promise, I will…someday…
As far as what’s going on in the world, you wouldn’t believe what they’ve done to our country. Remember all those greasy headed hippies that we used to hate so much? Well, they’re all grown up now and are in control of all our major institutions and all levels of government—everything from Congress to law enforcement to the public schools. Hell, one of them even became President. They are stealing our property, murdering our citizens, and generally making a mockery out of the Constitution—all under the color of law. What a mess! Oh well, hopefully, there’ll be plenty of time to fill you in on the details of all that later.
So, how’s it going for you? I suspect that promotions come pretty slow up there–after all, you are amongst the cream of the cream. But, knowing you, I’d bet that you are at least a Battalion Sergeant Major by now. When the Supreme Commandant decides to cut me a new set of orders, I’m hoping He’ll consider me worthy of joining you. Maybe you’ll have room for a good Company First Sergeant in your outfit.
Hope to see you up there dude!
LaBaume, Jimmy T
Jimmy T. LaBaume, PhD, ChFC is a full professor teaching economics and statistics in the School of Agricultural and Natural Resource Sciences, Sul Ross State University, Alpine, TX. He wishes to make it abundantly clear that he does not speak for Sul Ross State University and Sul Ross State University does not think for him.
Dr. LaBaume has lived in Mexico and spent extended periods of time in South and Central America as a researcher, consultant and educator.
“Gunny” LaBaume is a decorated veteran of the Vietnam War and Desert Storm. His Marine Corps career spanned some 35 years intermittently from 1962 until 1997 when he refused to re-enlist with less than 2 years to go to a good retirement. In his own words, he “simply got tired of being guilty of treason.”
*Note: We hold no special government issued licenses or permits. We don’t accept government subsidies, bailouts, low-cost loans, insurance, or other privileges. We don’t lobby for laws that hurt our competitors. We actively oppose protectionism and invite all foreign competitors to try to under price us. We do not lobby for tariffs, quotas, or anti-dumping laws. We do not support the government’s budget deficits: we hold no government or agency securities.
To Subscribe to our daily e-mail alert service, send an e-mail with the word “subscribe” on the subject line.
AMERICAN LAPEL PINS & EMBLEMS, INC. has a large selection of patriotic lapel and hat pens, embroderied patches, badges, and service awards.
They also do custom work and can make just about anything. Your own pin complete with your logo or motto.
- Move Over, Megyn Kelly, America is Calling August 27, 2015
- Elites preparing last phase of New World Order? August 27, 2015
- Ted Cruz Is Stalking Donald Trump August 27, 2015
- Is the GOP Establishment Learning Anything? Because They Should Be August 27, 2015
- Yes, Trump does mean the end of the GOP August 27, 2015
- Donald Trump may be helping Ted Cruz with his ‘endgame’ August 27, 2015
- How Huma Abedin operated at the center of the Clinton universe August 27, 2015
- Does Ted Cruz Have the Qualifications For President? August 27, 2015
- Ted Cruz, Donald Trump to Team Up for Rally Against Iran Deal August 27, 2015
- David Limbaugh: It Depends on What the Meaning of ‘Crazies’ Is August 27, 2015
- WATCH: Trump Is Teaming Up With Another 2016 Candidate To Fight Obama In A BOLD Way (Ted Cruz) August 27, 2015
- DAVI: DONALD TRUMP WILL DEMAND RESPECT FOR THE OFFICE August 27, 2015
- 238569 August 27, 2015
- RUSH: WE’RE BEING INVADED! This Is Not Immigration… These Are Refugees | NoisyRoom.net August 27, 2015
- “We’re not going to take it anymore.” August 27, 2015
- Decentralizing the Failed American Republic… ~ “…A crucial thing people don’t know about Jefferson is this: he was fully convinced that freedom in America was fatally wounded—in fact on its deathbed—by 1810 or so. He maintained that he and his fellow founders had blown their opportunity and that American freedom had already slipped away….” – LewRockwell.com | HAD ENOUGH YET??? ~ WE WHO VOTE DECIDE… 0!… | HAD ENOUGH YET??? ~ WE WHO VOTE DECIDE… 0!… | HAD ENOUGH YET??? ~ WE WHO VOTE DECIDE… NOT !!!!!… | BLOGGING BAD: Gunny G August 27, 2015
- Understanding Why the Constitution Was and Remains a Detriment to Individual Liberty | Strike-The-Root: A Journal Of Liberty | BLOGGING BAD: Gunny G August 27, 2015
- Establishing A Federal Republic – Thomas Jefferson | Exhibitions – Library of Congress August 27, 2015
- AL BENSON Jr….
- ALAN CARUBA (Articles)
- AMERICA’S GREATEST THREAT….. By Chuck Baldwin
- AMERICA, THE LAND OF CENSORED CONSERVATIVE SPEECH… Ron Ewart
- ARE YOU CONFUSED? ~ “The Spiritual war is real and is playing out before us.” By Coach Dave Daubenmire
- AUTHORS @ LEWROCKWELL.COM….
- B4.ITS.NEWS !!!!!
- BILL BUPPERT: THE GOD THAT FAILED…(BIG GOVERNMEMT) …..
- CANADA FREE PRESS (Columnists Archives)
- CHARLEY REESE
- CHUCK BALDWIN
- CLIFF KINCAID…Archive, Etc.
- Coach Dave Daubenmire…
- COACH IS RIGHT!
- COL SELLIN …
- CONNECT THE DOTS! The Confederate Society…
- Dave HODGES…
- DEVVY KIDD (People Vs. GubMint)
- Emails Reveal Close Relationship Between Psychology Group and CIA…Psychology has stolen most of what it offers from the Buddhist mind control system……..
- FREE.REUBLIC.COM Forum …
- GARY D. BARNETT: VOTING: THE GOD THAT FAILED…
- GARY NORTH/CONSTITUTIONAL COUP
- Gunny G ARTICLES POSTED @ NETWORK.54 !!!!!
- HAD ENOUGH, YET ???
- HAGMANN & HAGMANN REPORT ~ DOUG HAGMANN…..
- J.B. WILLIAMS
- JOAN SWIRSKI
- JOAN SWIRSKY
- Judi McLeod…
- NWV: GUEST OPINIONS…..
- PAUL CRAIG ROBERTS
- PAUL MCGUIRE, NWV …
- Realistic Military Training JADE HELM Drudge report ^ | 03/20/15 | US Army Special Operations Command
- SERVANDO GONZALEZ !!!!!
- SHER ZIEVE: ARTICLES……
- Southern Heritage News & Views… Craig Maus
- The BEST Of “THE JUDGE” ~ JUDGE ANDREW P. NAPOLITANO ……
- THE CONSTITUTION: THE GOD THAT FAILED…
- The Indy Jones Fedrora Story, Hats, Etc……
- THE ONE AND ONLY: ALAN STANG !!!!!…..
- THE RIGHT TO BE LEFT ALONE ?
- THOMAS DILORENZO……
- TOM MULLEN: Constitution/Patriot Act…
- UNDERSTANDING WHY CONSTITUTION IS A DETRIMENT TO INDIVIDUAL LIBERTY…
- WAYNE ALLYN ROOT… Obama: Mission Accomplished…Etc.
- WRITERS @ NEWSWITHVIEWS.COM…
Blogs I Follow
- BLOGGING BAD: Gunny G
- Mario Murillo Ministries
- culvernaters truth seeking
- God's Hidden Nuggets for the Endtimes
- Dan Kennedy-Liberal Politics
- B'Man's Revolt
- Toiletnation, USA
- Westonka Informer
- Outside the Reality Machine
- daily europa
- Coach is Right
- THAT'S WHAT I'M SCREAMING
- Conservative Libertarian Outpost
- Desert Musings
- The Silent Soldier
- News for the Revolution
- Mastersen's Musings
- My Shield My Refuge
- Lantern Timeglass Journal
- Justice for Germans
- Random Candidate
- THE ROAD TO CONCORD
- the munchkin wrangler.
- Lexington Libertarian
- Steve Blank
- Aletho News
- K-FROG 95.1 FM and 92.9 FM - New Country - California Country Music Radio Station
- Jewamongyou's Blog
- The GOLDEN RULE
- Cold Dead Hands Days
- Battlefield America - A Government of Wolves
- PASS THE KNOWLEDGE (LIGHT & LIFE)
- Maiden on the Midway
- The Seduction of Christianity | Alan Vincent
- lisa's leaks
- Grassroots Contemplations
- Arlin Report
- By the Blood of the Lamb
- That Mr. G Guy's Blog
- FOREVER VICTIMS
- Pragmatic Witness
FLOAT LIKE A BUTTERFLY, STING LIKE A BEE !!!!!
BECAUSE THERE IS
A WAR ON FOR YOUR MIND
CLICK BUTTON ABOVE
FOR THE THINKING MAN!
Please Click Button Above
THE Gunny G BOOKMARKS/One-Click Posts/Articles--CLICK HERE!!!!! (Diigo)