Prison Planet.com » Google chairman says online piracy bill would ‘criminalize’ the Internet
Schmidt said the controverisal Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) would punish Web firms, including search engines, that link to foreign websites dedicated to online piracy. He said implementing the bill as written would effectively break the Internet.
“By criminalizing links, what these bills do is they force you to take content off the Internet,” Schmidt said, calling it a form of censorship.
The search giant has been at the forefront of a tech industry backlash against the legislation from House Judiciary Chairman Lamar Smith (R-Texas).
Full story here.
- Reps. Issa, Wyden unveil competing bill to Judiciary’s Stop Online Piracy Act (thehill.com)
- SOPA, Stop Online Piracy Act: Hollywood Battles Internet Companies To Protect Itself From Piracy (VIDEO) (huffingtonpost.com)
- Congress Censors the Internet (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Eric Schmidt: Copyright Bills Would Bring Internet Censorship (huffingtonpost.com)
- Internet Community Shut Out of Stop Online Piracy Act Hearing – Again (newsworldwide.wordpress.com)