It’s the kind of “scandal” that makes one wonder if the establishment press could ever get a smear story straight. The script is that Rep. Ron Paul is a closet racist, is embroiled in a scandal he falsely denies, while new revelations about his racism are leaking out by the hour.
Establishment reporters ever so desperately want to create this image. And just because the facts aren’t there, that doesn’t keep the mainstream media from trying. Such was the case when a disgruntled former Paul staffer blogged his disagreements with the presidential candidate, which became the following lead in the New York Daily News: “A former Ron Paul staffer says the Republican presidential candidate is ‘unsettled by being around gays personally,'” the Daily News story reported December 27, “and is ‘out of touch’ with black and Hispanic voters.”
The story’s lead paragraph seemed to fit the establishment media talking points that Ron Paul is a racist, if not anti-Semitic, person. It appears to be a follow-up to the legitimate, but minor, news about Paul’s inattentive management of newsletters that were published under his name in the 1980s and early 1990s that contained a handful of racist remarks.
But the lead disappointed. There was no fire under the smoke, just lots of mirrors. The former staffer in question, Eric Dondero, denied in the same blog post that Representative Ron Paul had ever been either a racist or anti-Semite:
- Ex-Aide Says Ron Paul Is a 9/11 Truther & Isolationist Who Thinks U.S. Shouldn’t Have Fought Hitler (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Statement From Former Ron Paul Staffer Causes More Problems For Rep. (pinkbananaworld.com)
- Prison Planet.com ” Smear Attacks Have No Effect, Ron Paul Still On Course To Win Iowa (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- National Review’s Racist Rants by Thomas DiLorenzo ~ “…by smearing Ron Paul as being insensitive on matters of race…” (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Ron Paul Wishes Israeli State Didn’t Exist, but He Isn’t Anti-Semite: Former Aide (ibtimes.com)