One of the main strawmen put forth is that Ron Paul has a small but fervent set of supporters, perhaps 1 Million, who take over online polls, and have now realized how to organize on the ground. In other words, the establishment argues that Ron Paul’s apparent popularity is really driven by a small group of Ron Paul fans, rather than being reflective of the majority of voters, and in a real election Ron Paul will be unable to win.
Let’s use widely available Internet tools to examine this argument and draw our own conclusions.
A picture is worth a thousand words, and here’s my favorite. It was created using Google Trends, and I invite you to use the tool to replicate what I’ve done here: http://www.google.com/trends (Enter Ron Paul, Newt Gingrich, Mitt Romney). I changed the default time range to 30 days.
- The Crazy, Paranoid World of Ron Paul (theageofblasphemy.wordpress.com)
- Rachel Maddow: ‘Ron Paul Hated By Fox News’ (huffingtonpost.com)
- Ron Paul’s Support Is Far More Widespread Than You Think (lewrockwell.com)
- Ron Paul: Propagandist or Prophet? (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Ron Paul’s “Disgruntled” Staffer and the Press Smear ofRon Paul ~ “the kind of “scandal” that makes one wonder if the establishment press could ever get a smear story straight” (gunnyg.wordpress.com)