Governor Reagan, you have been quoted in the press as saying that you’re doing a lot of speaking now on behalf of the philosophy of conservatism and libertarianism. Is there a difference between the two?
REAGAN: If you analyze it I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism. I think conservatism is really a misnomer just as liberalism is a misnomer for the liberals–if we were back in the days of the Revolution, so-called conservatives today would be the Liberals and the liberals would be the Tories.
The basis of conservatism is a desire for less government interference or less centralized authority or more individual freedom and this is a pretty general description also of what libertarianism is.
Now, I can’t say that I will agree with all the things that the present group who call themselves Libertarians in the sense of a party say, because I think that like in any political movement there are shades, and there are libertarians who are almost over at the point of wanting no government at all or anarchy.
I believe there are…..
EXCERPT ~ CONTINUES @ LINK…
- REAGAN On CONSERVATISM and LIBERTARIANISM…Inside Ronald Reagan – Reason Magazine (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Inside Ronald Reagan – Reason Magazine….. (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- “I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism.” – Ronald Reagan (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- “”I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism.” – Ronald Reagan” ~ Libertarians Have One Choice In 2012-Vote Republican (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Gunny G’s Old Salt Marines Tavern Weblog: WHAT IS A CONSERVATIVE? (gunnyg.wordpress.com)