Of the two photos above, the one of the NYC firemen raising the flag at the site of the WTC after the 9/11 attack is now well known.The other photo, however, is not so well known. That photo is one of the photos by Leatherneck magazine photographer, S/Sgt Lou Lowery, taken on Mount Suribachi, Iwo Jima on 23 February 1945, of the actual flag raising there at about 1020 on that morning
.Lowery had accompanied 1/Lt. Harold G. Schrier and his 40-man combat patrol Easy Company, 2ndBn, 28th Marines, up the hill to raise our national colors; this was the first time in 2,000 years that a foreign flag had been raised on the Japanese homeland.Later that same day, a larger, “replacement” flag was substituted for the original, and was photographed at that time by Joe Rosenthal; and it was that photo that soon became famous as The Iwo Jima Flag Raising.
The WTC Flag picture, above, has recently appeared many times displayed together with Rosenthal’s photo, but I have never seen it in combination with the genuine article by Lowery, therefore, I think that this combination of photos above is more appropriate, and each photo complements the other most fully. .
WHO RAISED THAT FLAG ON IWO JIMA?The following is from the book, Iwo Jima…, by Marling/Wetenhall The answer may surprise even long-time Marines who think they know their Marine Corps history…”…on February 24 when Schrier was notified, “Request you designate one member group of flag raisers report aboard Eldorado AGC 11 early morning 25 February.Purpose news broadcast.Schrier sent his second in command of the original patrol–PltSgt Ernest Ivy “Boots” Thomas.At 0430 the next morning, Thomas found himself aboard the ship in the presence of Admiral Turner and General Howlin’ Mad” Smith…..
- Gunny G’s Marines History and Traditions: Who Coined The Phrase “Bug Out”? (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- American Indian Marine Was Part of Iwo Jima, But Kept Out of Spotlight (indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com)
- An Iwo Jima Story You May Not Have Heard (indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com)
- Gunny G: Postal Photos Iwo Jima 1945 PO….. (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Gunny G: “SULLY,” RAY JACOBS, and “MAC” McCULLOUGH…. ” ~ BLOGGER.GUNNY.G.1984+ ~ (gunnyg.wordpress.com)