Let’s Stop the SOPA Internet Censorship Bill
The John Birch Society ^ | November 23, 2011 | Ann Shibler
Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2012 6:13:57 PM by Steve_in_AZ
There certainly hasn’t been any lack of attempts by the U.S. government — elected Representatives and Senators, and White House — to try to regulate/control the Internet in this session of Congress. It seems a new cybersecurity bill pops up at least once a week. The latest one catching all the attention is the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA), H.R. 3261. SOPA is a beefed-up version of the failed Protect IP Act….
David Ulevich, an expert in Internet security calls the legislation “dangerous” for three reasons: 1) “there is no way to censor only illegal content without harming legitimate uses on sites as well,” 2) it will create a firewall to “censor websites similar to those countries we criticize for the same behavior,” and 3) it will “burden companies with an onerous level of liability for all user-generated content.”
Speak out about Internet censorship by contacting your Representative and Senators immediately, as this bill is sure to see more action before the end of the year. It is a government-interference Internet bill of great magnitude that would in fact destroy the Internet as we now know it, creating a new bureaucracy with the U.S. Government as the Internet police.
(Excerpt) Read more at jbs.org …
- CENSORSHIP-THE MEAT IN THE SOPA and the Protect IP ACT (eatingliberty.wordpress.com)
- Online censorship: What is SOPA, PIPA? Should we in India be concerned? (mahesh.com)
- BOTHER. does not support SOPA and PIPA (botherstore.wordpress.com)
- NO to SOPA/PIPA – NO to Internet Censorship (with censored display) (illuminared.wordpress.com)
- Protest Against SOPA/PIPA (waldina.com)