Catholic author Russell Shaw warned in November that the persecution of religion in the United States “will be a tight-lipped campaign of secularist inspiration in which the coercive power of the state is brought to bear on church-related institutions to act against conscience or go out of business.”
Shaw’s prediction quickly came to pass with the Contraception Mandate now threatened by the Obama Administration.
In late January, Obama signed off on a Health and Human Services ruling that is a direct affront to Catholics. Under his new Health Care program, Catholic institutions – including charities, hospitals and schools – will be required by law to provide and pay for insurance coverage that includes contraceptives, abortion-inducing drugs and sterilization procedures……
- Shaw: The ball is in the bishops’ court (osvdailytake.com)
- Catholics Split Over Obama Contraceptive Order (alternet.org)
- Richard Evans: Requiring Catholics to pay for insurance coverage that includes contraceptives, abortion-inducing drugs and sterilization procedures violation of First Amendment. (tcpalm.com)
- Catholics vs Contraception: Still Exempt, Still Complaining (civiccommentary.wordpress.com)
- Obama Just Lost My Catholic Vote (thedailybeast.com)