U.S. to offer legal backing for “targeted killing” (Americans overseas): source
U.S. to offer legal backing for “targeted killing“: source
By Jeremy Pelofsky
WASHINGTON | Sun Mar 4, 2012 7:23pm EST
WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The Obama administration on Monday plans to outline how U.S. laws empower the government to kill Americans overseas who engage in terrorism against their home country, a source familiar with the matter said, months after a drone strike killed a U.S.-born cleric who plotted attacks from Yemen.
Civil liberties groups have been pressuring the administration to offer justification for what has been described as a top-secret “targeted kill” program in which Americans who have joined al Qaeda or other militants are deemed legitimate targets to be killed overseas.
Attorney General Eric Holder plans to address the issue and the underpinning legal principles for using lethal force during remarks at Northwestern University School of Law on Monday afternoon in Chicago, the source said Sunday on condition of anonymity.
(Excerpt) Read more at reuters.com …
- Prison Planet.com ” Lawsuit Filed Against Government Over Assassination Of U.S. Citizens (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- The CIA and the Exit from Afghanistan; AG Holder to Address Anwar Al-Awlaki Targeted Killing (volokh.com)
- ACLU Sues U.S. for Information on Targeted Killing Program (newsworldwide.wordpress.com)
- US Defends Targeted Killings (myfoxphoenix.com)
- This Is It, We’re Here: Secret Government Panel Can Now Place Americans on “Kill List” (thedirtylowdown.wordpress.com)
- New York Times sues for access to Obama administration’s legal guidance on drone use (dailykos.com)
- Pentagon Says US Citizens Accused Of Supporting Terrorism Can Be Assassinated (tatoott1009.com)
- New York Times files lawsuit seeking info on targeted killings by U.S. drone in Yemen (nextlevelofnews.com)
- ACLU to U.S. Government: If You Can Brag About Drone Strike Success, You Can Discus The Program in Court (reason.com)
- | Why Obama’s ‘targeted killing’ is worse than Bush’s torture! (truthaholics.wordpress.com)