Fuel Taxes Must Rise, Harvard Researchers Say – NYTimes.com
To reduce carbon dioxide emissions in the transportation sector 14 percent from 2005 levels by 2020, the cost of driving would simply have to increase, according to a report released Thursday by researchers at Harvard’s Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs. The research also appears in the March edition of the journal Energy Policy.
The 14 percent target was set in the Environmental Protection Agency’s budget for fiscal 2010.
In their study, the researchers devised several combinations of steps that United States policymakers might take in trying to address the heat-trapping emissions by the nation’s transportation sector, which consumes 70 percent of the oil used in the United States.
Most of their models assumed an economy-wide carbon dioxide tax starting at $30 a ton in 2010 and escalating to $60 a ton in 2030. In some cases researchers also factored in tax credits for electric and hybrid vehicles, taxes on fuel or both.
- OBAMA Oil sets $7 a gallon gas price target (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Prison Planet.com ” Not the Video Breitbart Died For: Leaked Obama Vid Already Aired on PBS in 2008 (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Carbon control takes new breed of specialists (business.financialpost.com)
- Reduction In Carbon Emissions Attributed To Cheaper Natural Gas (redorbit.com)
- OBAMA Oil sets $7 a gallon gas price target (ReBlog) (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- A small carbon tax on coal could help drive shift to natural gas and reduce greenhouse gas emissions significantly (summitcountyvoice.com)
- Rise in Preschool Cavities Prompts Anesthesia Use – NYTimes.com (policyabcs.wordpress.com)
- Obama’s Tax Policy Targets Slice of His Base – The Affluent – NYTimes.com (policyabcs.wordpress.com)
- If carbon dioxide emissions were important this might be something (junkscience.com)
- Iceland storage project turns CO2 into stone (junkscience.com)