In the ’80s, it was tinny electronic recordings advising you that “the door is ajar.”
In the ’90s, it was auto-strangulating seatbelts that assaulted you as soon as you closed the door.
Today, it’s the cement-headed obsession with oversized “rims” (ree-uhms, if pronounced correctly in High Ebonics).
The sight of something along the lines of a clapped-out ’78 Caprice Classic worth $1,200 sporting $3,000 worth of tackier-than-New-Jersey-Hausefrau Cameltoe twennies is a spectacle unique to our era. Like curb feelers and jacked-up rear ends (redneck high culture) a generation ago. Only those things eventually went away. And – they were mocked as markers of low culture (and a low IQ) at the time.
The Big Shiny Wheel thing shows no signs of fading. And it has permeated all strata of the culture.
The look is now routinely emulated by the designers of brand-new $60,000 SUVs (see, for example, the new Range Rover Evoque – it comes standard with nineteens and twennies are optional, right from the factory). The surest confirmation that the ghetto has moved to the ‘burbs.
Where did it all begin?
And will it ever end?
Larger (but not huge for their own sake) wheel/tire packages do have a functional purpose – up to a point. In the past, they were fitted pretty much exclusively to performance cars, for the purpose of enhancing their performance. A wider tire has a larger contact patch – and a shorter-sidewall tire flexes less – both of which improve things like steering response and cornering grip at high speed. But there are downsides, starting with a rougher ride and including higher rolling resistance from the increase in unsprung mass, more rapid tire wear and (almost always) much higher replacement cost.
In the context of a performance car, these liabilities are acceptable because the car handles, accelerates and brakes better. In other words, the larger wheels and tires make sense – they have a functional purpose – and the downsides are accepted in return for the enhanced functionality.
But twennnies on a 165,000 mile ’78 Caprice?
Or a new Camry?
- The Safety Nazis (lewrockwell.com)
- Cop Types. . . by Eric Peters (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- The Fed and the Safety Nazis (lewrockwell.com)
- No Cops Around? (lewrockwell.com)
- Will the Huge Wheel Fad Ever End? (lewrockwell.com)
- Santa’s Last Run? (lewrockwell.com)
- Do Police Have Our DNA? (gunnygcops.wetpaint.com)
- What Does Leon Panetta Know About TWA 800 | Ron Paul 2012 | Peace . Gold . Liberty (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- (SOMETIMES YA GOTTA CHECK THESE LINKS OUT WITH THE WAYBACK MACHINE…) OBAMA Oil sets $7 a gallon gas price target (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Police Taser Sleeping Man,,, (gunnygcops.wetpaint.com)
- Hey, What’s That Sound I Hear? ….that’s Aarugha, Not Oohrah!!!!! (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- The Daily Bell – Nelson Hultberg on the Debut of SPOiLER, His New Political Party and How Ron Paul Could Win the Presidency (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- GUNNY G: Why Top Federal Judge Roll (Obama Case) Not Mentioned Same Tucson (Giffords) Shooting (Assassination?) ” ~ BLOGGER.GUNNY.G.1984+. ~ (BLOG & EMAIL) (madashelland.wordpress.com)
- “feminism traces its roots back to Karl Marx, George Engels, and Vladimir Lenin” (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- The Right To Be Left Alone… (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- (“Obama should likely be behind bars with the results of multiple felonies he is alleged to have committed.Unfortunately…”) What are the odds Obama is Ineligible to run again for president? | Western Journalism.com (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Newt: Obama’s goal is $8 or $9 gas (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Webster Tarpley in Iran: “US Wages Wars To Avoid Dollar Collapse” ” News Worldwide (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- (“…Washington’s empire extracts resources from the American people for the benefit of the few powerful interest groups that rule America…The military-security complex, Wall Street, agri-business and the Israel Lobby…”) Prison Planet.com ” Empires Th (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Republic, Democracy: Definitions from the Training Manual Issued November 30, 1928 (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- GUNNY G: And So, The Question as to Just When Communism/Socialism Arose In America? (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Gunny G: Ok, Who Is Cia Director David Pretraeus ? (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- “I agree with Clyde Wilson that America can’t be saved or returned to its roots until the Republican Party is destroyed.” (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Gunny G: Col Hackworth’s Term “Perfumed Prince” Caught My Eye… (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- “More and More Weather Modification Programs Are Planned Without Your Knowledge or Consent” (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- ROME IS BURNING, NERO IS FIDDLING By Lynn Stuter (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- If I Were the Devil: Paul Harvey (Warning for a Nation) (audio) (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- THE CULTURE of VIOLENCE in the AMERICAN WEST MYTHS Vs. REALITY ~ By: Thomas J. DiLorenzo (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Gunnyg: the People (and Writers) Seem to Be Becoming More Edgy and Outspoken… (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Communism Comes To America Earlier Than We Think | revisedhistory (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Going Old? by Eric Peters (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Need a Spare Tire? You’ll Get an Aerosol Can (lewrockwell.com)
- Fire: Your Partner in Survival (lewrockwell.com)