…The War of 1812 resulted in martial law in Louisiana, where people were jailed without habeas corpus simply for criticizing military law. A judge was jailed for issuing a habeas corpus writ.
During the Mexican War the executive branch unilaterally adopted taxing powers over U.S.-controlled ports in Mexico.
The Civil War brought with it mass conscription, corporate welfare, the death of real federalism, the suspension of habeas corpus, the jailing of thousands of dissenters, the censoring of hundreds of newspapers, the creation of a national leviathan with such new agencies as the Department of Agriculture, military commissions, and the use of the army against civilian draft rioters in New York.
With World War I, thousands of new agencies were created, millions were enslaved to fight in a royal European family feud, American citizens were jailed for saying things I say every day, income-tax rates skyrocketed into the 70s, and the federal government implemented economic controls that were later brought back in peacetime during the New Deal. In fact, the New Deal was basically the revitalization of the wartime economy from World War I.
World War II saw the conscription of 11 million Americans, the detention of hundreds of thousands of “enemy aliens” without due process, Japanese internment, martial law in Hawaii, a quasi-fascist command economy complete with comprehensive price controls, tax rates above 90 percent, censorship, and the prolonging of Herbert Hoover’s and Franklin Roosevelt’s Great Depression, which didn’t end until the U.S. government stopped consuming 40 percent of America’s income to wage the war.
The Cold War gave us drafts, especially during the hot wars with Korea and Vietnam, and surveillance and psy-ops directed against peaceful activists by U.S. intelligence agencies. With the war on terror we have lost the last remnants of the Fourth Amendment, habeas corpus has taken another beating, we are treated like prison inmates every time we fly, peaceful activists have been spied on, media have been manipulated by Washington, torture has become normalized, soldiers are not allowed to quit after completing their first or even third tour of duty, and Americans’ telecommunications have been exposed to surveillance by the military.
War gave us the welfare state – first for veterans then for the rest of us. It gave us Prohibition – it was during World War I that beer was targeted, both for its German origin and its popularity on military bases – and Prohibition led to gun control and the continued destruction of the Bill of Rights. War, under Lincoln and Wilson, gave us the corporate state, which is now a permanent feature of American life. War gave us federal meddling in education. It created virtually every precedent by which our liberty is robbed……
- (What War Really Is ~ Freedom Betrayed, by Herbert Hoover) bionic mosquito (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- We Are a Nation of Greatness (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Time To Get Out of Dodge? (lewrockwell.com)
- When Communism Came to America (lewrockwell.com)
- (excerpt) Is This Man, President of the United States of America, the Leader of the Free World, Mentally Ill? (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Communism Comes To America Earlier Than We Think | revisedhistory (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Your Papers, Please! (gunnygcops.wetpaint.com)
- Warrior Cops The Ominous Growth of Paramilitarism in American Police Departments (gunnygcops.wetpaint.com)
- The County Sheriff Stands In The Gap For Americans (gunnygcops.wetpaint.com)
- “More and More Weather Modification Programs Are Planned Without Your Knowledge or Consent” (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- If I Were the Devil: Paul Harvey (Warning for a Nation) (audio) (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Webster Tarpley in Iran: “US Wages Wars To Avoid Dollar Collapse” ” News Worldwide (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- THE CULTURE of VIOLENCE in the AMERICAN WEST MYTHS Vs. REALITY ~ By: Thomas J. DiLorenzo (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- The Right To Be Left Alone… (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Republic, Democracy: Definitions from the Training Manual Issued November 30, 1928 (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- LaRouche: To Stop World War III, Obama Must be Removed from Office Now ~ “In addition to these impeachable crimes, President Obama is clinically insane, and should be immediately removed…” (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Gunny G: Ok, Who Is Cia Director David Pretraeus ? (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Gunny G: Col Hackworth’s Term “Perfumed Prince” Caught My Eye… (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- ROME IS BURNING, NERO IS FIDDLING By Lynn Stuter (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Gunnyg: the People (and Writers) Seem to Be Becoming More Edgy and Outspoken… (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Do you know “gunnyg”? (trueconservative.me)
- GUNNY G: And So, The Question as to Just When Communism/Socialism Arose In America? (johnmalcolm.me)
- Hey, What’s That Sound I Hear? ….that’s Aarugha, Not Oohrah!!!!! (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- “I agree with Clyde Wilson that America can’t be saved or returned to its roots until the Republican Party is destroyed.” (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- (“…Washington’s empire extracts resources from the American people for the benefit of the few powerful interest groups that rule America…The military-security complex, Wall Street, agri-business and the Israel Lobby…”) Prison Planet.com ” Empires Th (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- GUNNY G: And So, The Question as to Just When Communism/Socialism Arose In America? (gunnyg.wordpress.com)