Fallen Heroes and a Corrupt Government
by LAWRENCE SELLIN, PHD April 23, 2012
This is my personal story. There are thousands of similar stories about loved ones who died defending our Constitution and our country.
It is a sad story because our own government is now in the process of destroying our Constitution and country for which those fallen heroes made the ultimate sacrifice.
Written on a cross in the American Military Cemetery, Lorrain, France, is the name First Lieutenant Joseph J. McCarthy. He was my mother’s first husband.
From the records of the American Military Monument Commission:
Joseph J. McCarthy
First Lieutenant, U.S. Army Air Forces
Service # O-809674
340th Bomber Squadron, 97th Bomber Group, Heavy
Entered the Service from: New Jersey
Buried at: Plot K Row 48 Grave 15
St. Avold, France
Awards: Air Medal with 6 Oak Leaf Clusters, Purple Heart with Oak Leaf Cluster
Here is the rest of the story as I understand it.
In May, 1944, the commander of the 97th Bomber group at Foggia airbase in Italy was Colonel Jacob E. Smart.
In 1943, Smart had been the architect of Operation Tidal Wave, in which, on August 1, 1943, 178 B-24 Liberators flew from bases near Benghazi, Libya to perform a low-level bombing raid on the oil refineries at Ploieşti, Romania.
On May 10, 1944, Smart was to lead a mission to bomb the FW 190 fighter aircraft factory near Wiener-Neustadt, Austria. The area was known as a “hot” target because it was well-protected by German fighters and anti-aircraft batteries.
The navigator assigned to Smart’s lead aircraft “begged off” and subsequently Lt. McCarthy volunteered, even though he had completed his quota of missions and was schedule to rotate back to the United States on the day of the scheduled raid.
- LT. COL. TERRY LAKIN: THE SELFLESS COURAGE OF AN AMERICAN HERO ~ By CJ Graham (network54.com)
- Remembering Air Force Captain Ronald L. Bond, of Haddonfield (1947-?) (gloucestercitynews.net)
- BIO: GEN Martin E Dempsey, Army CoS (waronterrornews.typepad.com)
- Gordy Honors College Forum Series Welcomes Lt. General Russel Honoré to Columbus (realstorypublishing.com)
- American brigadier general dies in Afghanistan (worldnews.msnbc.msn.com)
- BIO: LTG William B Caldwell IV (waronterrornews.typepad.com)
- United States Congressman Allen West Covers “Pretty Woman” (socyberty.com)
- Joe McCarthy’s Joke (neatorama.com)
- The Israeli leaderships’ assault on the American military (miscellany101.wordpress.com)
- BIO: General Ann E Dunwoody (waronterrornews.typepad.com)
- Gunny G: Col Lawrence Sellin Is Now Posting On Family Security Matters… (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Bo as Emblem of State Capitalism (thinkmarkets.wordpress.com)
- HBO Not Moving Forward With Spike Lee/Doug Ellin’s ‘Da Brick’ (hollywoodinthehood.wordpress.com)
- Political Establishments and the Culture of Dependency ~ EXPOSE OBAMA AND SHATTER THE CORRUPT POLITICAL STATUS QUO by Lawrence Sellin, ©2012 (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- (Col Sellin ~ “They Are Afraid of Us”) Why the News Blackout of Possibly Greatest Constitutional Crisis since the Civil War? ” Publications ” Family Security Matters (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Corruption in America is Killing Her…and Us| The Post & Email (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Counting the Cost in the War on Terror (lonestarwatchdog.blogspot.com)
- Occupy Wall Street: what is to be done next? | Slavoj Žižek (guardian.co.uk)
- ATTN New Yorkers: Cartoonist Nicholas Mahler Signing ‘Angelman: Fallen Angel’ (geek-news.mtv.com)