Run-ins with pit bull reportedly led Zimmerman, wife to get guns
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2012 12:34:56 PM by RoosterRedux
George Zimmerman and his wife began carrying handguns after repeated run-ins with a pit bull, and the volunteer neighborhood watchman continued his armed vigil over a gated community in Sanford, Fla., as a rash of burglaries left neighbors frightened, according to a report.
The couple took firearms training courses and got handguns and concealed carry permits in late 2009 — three years before Zimmerman shot unarmed teen Trayvon Martin dead — after a pit bull named Big Boi menaced Shellie Zimmerman near their home, Reuters reported.
Big Boi later spooked a dog owned by Zimmerman’s mother-in-law, prompting the Zimmermans to contact Seminole County Animal Services and to buy pepper spray, the news agency reported. After a third encounter with the dog, Zimmerman called authorities and an officer who came to the house advised him to take up arms.
“Don’t use pepper spray,” the officer told the Zimmermans, according to a friend who relayed the conversation to a Reuters reporter. “It’ll take two or three seconds to take effect, but a quarter-second for the dog to jump you. Get a gun.”
(Excerpt) Read more at foxnews.com …
- Chris Brown Softens His Image by Becoming an Amateur Pit Bull Breeder [Dirt Bag] (jezebel.com)
- Louisiana cops seize 17 pit bulls over ordinance (foxnews.com)
- George Zimmerman: Prelude to a shooting (wesmantoddshaw.wordpress.com)
- Elderly Satsop woman recovering after vicious pit bull attack (komonews.com)
- Zimmerman Armed Himself To Guard Against Pit Bull (foxnews.com)
- Superhero pit bull (leftperspectives.com)
- Caught On Tape: Deaf Woman, Dog Attacked By Pit Bull In El Sereno (losangeles.cbslocal.com)
- Pit bull kills small dog, injures woman in El Sereno (abclocal.go.com)
- Woman mauled by pit bulls: ‘If you want to survive, you’re gonna have to fight’ (king5.com)
- 2 pit bulls being nursed back to health (myfoxny.com)