Prison Planet.com » Kentucky Supreme Court Rules Highway Checkpoints Illegal
Warrantless checkpoints in the city of Liberty, Kentucky that were used by authorities to interrogate drivers who refused to display a sticker in their vehicle have been ruled unconstitutional by the Kentucky Supreme Court.
Kentucky Supreme Court Rules Highway Checkpoints Illegal trooper checkpoint 96a357319af2ccec
Residents who refused to buy the $10 dollar sticker were targeted after city officials ordered police to set up roadblocks. Those displaying the sticker were allowed through but refusniks were interrogated and had their vehicles searched, a clear violation of the Fourth Amendment.
After the state Court of Appeals disagreed with the Casey County Circuit Court and claimed the checkpoints to be justified, the Kentucky Supreme Court stepped in and unanimously ruled that the city had no reason to stop motorists.
“The checkpoint’s only purpose was to enforce a revenue-raising tax upon vehicles in the city,” the court ruled. “Thus, the checkpoint to enforce the sticker ordinance comports with none of the purposes which the United States Supreme Court has found to be important enough to override the individual liberty interests secured by the Fourth Amendment.”
The court also added that authorities chose the most invasive method to find residents who had refused to display the ticket. Given the fact that it was known those refusing to display the ticket were teachers, officers could instead have simply visited the school parking lot instead of setting up roadblocks.
“Through a series of decisions, the US Supreme Court has………….EXCERPT
- Tuesday round-up (scotusblog.com)
- Guns Permitted in Vehicles on College Campuses in Kentucky (wsaz.com)
- Another Small Victory for Liberty (youviewedblog.wordpress.com)
- South Dakota Court Sets Up a Roadblock to Avoiding the Cops (reason.com)
- “Oklahoma Supreme Court strikes down personhood proposal; The Oklahoma Supreme Court ruled the proposed personhood measure violates a 1992 U.S. Supreme Court opinion upholding the right of a woman to have an abortion” (howappealing.law.com)
- Oklahoma Supreme Court strikes down personhood proposal (newsok.com)
- Supreme Court will rule on if deportation ruling is retroactive (rawstory.com)
- Kentucky Grants Child Killer’s Death Wish (cbsnews.com)
- Kentucky Bill Would Nuke Arbitration Separability (lawprofessors.typepad.com)
- Amish Jailed for Refusing to Pay Buggy Fines… (cbsnews.com)