Can Ron Paul delegates cause mischief at the RNC national convention?
Last week, I wrote about the Ron Paul movement’s success in Minnesota, organizing effectively to take delegates in the Congressional-district conventions that elect delegate to the big show in Tampa.
Minnesota isn’t the only caucus state where this has taken place, the Washington Times reports, and the Paul campaign may end up with a more significant presence on the campaign floor than the official caucus/primary counts suggest. Will they be able to create “mischief” on the floor and disrupt Mitt Romney’s smooth ascent to the top of the ticket?
Mitt Romney may be the presumptive Republican presidential nominee, but Rep. Ron Paul of Texas is quietly racking up some organizational victories that could complicate Mr. Romney’s anticipated coronation at the Republican National Convention in Tampa, Fla., this summer.
Exploiting party rules, loyalists for the libertarian congressman from Texas in recent days have engineered post-primary organizing coups in states such as Louisiana and Alaska, confirming what party regulars say would be an effort to grab an outsized role in the convention and the party’s platform deliberations.
In Massachusetts, the state where Mr. Romney served as governor, Paul loyalists over the weekend helped block more than half of Mr. Romney’s preferred nominees from being named delegates at state party caucuses — even though Mr. Romney won his home state’s primary with 72 percent of the vote. Many state GOP establishment figures, including longtime state Republican National Committee member Ron Kaufman, won’t be going to Tampa in August as official delegates.
Mr. Paul, who is Mr. Romney’s only active challenger with the expected withdrawal Wednesday of former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, “is doing more with less than any modern presidential campaign in recent memory,” said Doug Wead, a Paul campaign adviser who served as an aide to President George H.W. Bush.
“More surprises coming,” Mr. Wead, an evangelical Christian, blogged this week. “It means that Ron Paul will be a factor in Tampa.”
Ralph Hallow writes that a few more surprises might make Paul strong enough to deny Romney a first-ballot nomination, but that’s unlikely. Massachusetts aside, the Paul campaign has mainly flexed its muscles in states where Romney didn’t do well — and where Rick Santorum succeeded, such as Minnesota, Iowa, Louisiana, and probably Missouri when they hold their fourth or fifth event that will actually select delegates.
The net effect of the Paul conversion will be to weaken Santorum’s influence, not Romney’s. Romney will win enough bound delegates from primary states to secure the nomination on the first ballot.
At this point, what would Paul gain from disrupting the convention? He won’t get the nomination, and he’s not going to get the VP slot, either, especially if he disrupts the convention. Neither will his son Rand, who only just started his first-ever political office. The Pauls want to play a long game, transferring the movement leadership from father to son, while maintaining their influence with the GOP. Rand has much more potential than his father ever did within the party, and everyone knows it.
That potential will be destroyed if Ron Paul and his movement derails the convention and it leads to a second Obama term; they will take all of the blame, and they will deserve it if they pursue that strategy. The Pauls are more rational than that, and they have used a frankly brilliant strategy to lay the groundwork for Rand in the next few cycles. They played by the rules and won these obscure battles. The big question — at least here in Minnesota — is whether they will stick around and do the work that these jobs require. Paul movement members have a reputation for a lack of follow-up in this state, and we’ll see whether that applies after these victories.
This does point out the need to end the caucus system, however. People who cast presidential-preference ballots in caucus states are almost entirely unaware that backroom machinations could produce a much different result than they intended. Minnesota and other states that have clung to the antiquated, 19th-century caucus systems — especially states like Iowa, Maine, and Nevada, where the state parties couldn’t properly count their ballots — need to join the 21st century and give Republican voters a direct method to choose their representation in presidential nomination processes.
- Prison Planet.com ” Ron Paul Destroyed Mitt Romney In Massachusetts This Weekend (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- BREAKING NEWS: Ron Paul Still Running For Some Reason (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Ron Paul Wins Louisiana and Massachusetts Caucuses (lewrockwell.com)
- Ron Paul Wins Louisiana and Massachusetts Caucuses by Thomas Eddlem (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- The Last Man Standing… (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- ” Ron Paul Has Been Quietly Piling Up Delegates – For a Brokered Convention? Alex Jones’ Infowars: There’s a war on for your mind! (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Our Voice Matters! Doug Wead Asks: What Should Ron Paul Do Now? (ronpaul.com)
- Ron Paul’s Delegate Strategy (lewrockwell.com)
- SURPRISE! Ron Paul Destroyed Mitt Romney In Massachusetts This Weekend – WWW.BUSINESSINSIDER.COM (infowebstorm.com)
- Can Ron Paul’s Delegate Strategy Confound Conventional Wisdom? by Michael Tennant (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Actually, Ron Paul Is Secretly Winning A Lot More Delegates Than You Think (businessinsider.com)
- Ron Paul Wins Louisiana, Iowa, Minnesota, Alaska, Washington, Colorado, Maine, Nevada & Massachusetts !!! (2012patriot.wordpress.com)
- Louisiana Also Looking Good for Ron Paul (reason.com)
- RON PAUL WINS 74% of Louisiana Caucuses ! (teapartywpbfl.wordpress.com)
- How Ron Paul’s “Delegate Strategy” is Working (reason.com)
- How Ron Paul’s “Delegate Strategy” is Working (fromthetrenchesworldreport.com)
- Ron Paul wins Minnesota and Iowa – Romney lollygags along as the media darling (postamericana.wordpress.com)
- Ron, the Crooked Republicans Are Unworthy of You (lewrockwell.com)
- Cry me a River (thechristianconstitutionalist.wordpress.com)
- Ron Paul Louisiana Caucus results, please post here! (dailypaul.com)
- Sore Losers? (thechristianconstitutionalist.wordpress.com)
- Ron Paul Roundup: Racking Up Delegates, Will Let Israel Choose Its Own Capital, Winning Over Santorum Fans (reason.com)
- Will Colorado GOP Conventioneers Be Trendsetters? (denver.cbslocal.com)
- The Delegate Count… Who’s keeping track anyway? (cedarrapidsactivist.wordpress.com)
- Romney asks GOP delegates to sign pledge, but some refuse (fromthetrenchesworldreport.com)
- Romney – Ron Paul in brutal battle ! (dougwead.wordpress.com)
- Romney May Not Reach Magic Delegate Number (abcnews.go.com)
- Ron & Rand Paul to Hold Major Tea Party Rally in Austin, Texas (dailypaul.com)
- Ron Paul makes clear he is not Romney’s lapdog – CBS News (cbsnews.com)
- Ron Paul takeover of the Alaska Republican Party (aksyrin.wordpress.com)
- It’s Actually Possible That NO ONE Will Win The Republican Race (businessinsider.com)
- Ron Paul Wins Louisiana Caucus – MarketWatch (postamericana.wordpress.com)
- Actually, Ron Paul Is Secretly Winning A Lot More Delegates Than You Think – WWW.BUSINESSINSIDER.COM (infowebstorm.com)
- Actually, Ron Paul Is Secretly Winning A Lot More Delegates Than You Think (blacklistednews.com)
- Actually, Ron Paul Is Secretly Winning A Lot More Delegates Than You Think (newsworldwide.wordpress.com)
- Prison Planet.com ” The Successes of Ron Paul’s Campaign (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Ron Paul Wins 5 Delegates in Pennsylvania; Romney Officially Has Zero (nolanchart.com)
- Prison Planet.com ” GOP Insiders Suggest Ron Paul Cannot Legally Be Part Of RNC Ballot (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- EconomicPolicyJournal.com: Maine Prevents Ron Paul Victory Because of “Snow”!! (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Prison Planet.com ” Six Romney Family Members Hit Campaign Trail… For RON PAUL (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Ron Paul’s Delegate Strategy (lewrockwell.com)
- Actually, Ron Paul Is Secretly Winning A Lot More Delegates Than You Think (dailypaul.com)
- “A rogue convention? How GOP party rules may surprise in 2012″ (dailypaul.com)
- Ron Paul Supporters, Beware (lewrockwell.com)
- Ron Paul true believers keep the faith (cnn.com)
- Ron Paul 2012: No End in Sight (motherjones.com)
- Ron Paul Roundup: Thoughts on ObamaCare and SCOTUS, Not Dropping Out, Doing Well in Missouri, Shenanigans in Washington State, and a Brokered Convention? (reason.com)
- Romney Nightmare: Ron Paul Resurfaces Yet Again – by Robert Ringer (robertringer.com)
- Paul’s Strategy Could Earn Him Major Role At RNC (huffingtonpost.com)
- 3,000 attend Ron Paul town hall meeting at UH (khou.com)
- Ron Paul heads for Super Tuesday delegate haul in fertile Idaho (guardian.co.uk)
- Pointless quote of the day, 05.01.12 (theblaze.com)
- Rand Paul Leaves Door Open For VP Slot (12160.info)
- When Can We Call Ron Paul’s Caucus Strategy a Bust? (swampland.time.com)
- Deflecting Attention From The Real Question (zerohedge.com)
- (“…Dr. Ron Paul could wind up being elected president…”) James Jaeger Believes Ron Paul is the Ultimate Spoiler–18.Apr.2012 (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Gunnyg: the People (and Writers) Seem to Be Becoming More Edgy and Outspoken… (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- The Daily Bell – Nelson Hultberg on the Debut of SPOiLER, His New Political Party and How Ron Paul Could Win the Presidency (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Gingrich Calls for Universal Right to Bear Arms at NRA Forum-UN Treaty, Is Fox News Reporting This? ” CITIZEN.BLOGGER.1984+ GUNNY.G BLOG.EMAIL (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Betty Freauf — Ron Paul Was There All the Time (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- GUNNY G: FYI: To Gunny G’s Readers Re Dead Links Due To $/Subscription Articles/Blogs… (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- A WORLD GONE MAD By Paul Proctor (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Gunny G: Col Hackworth’s Term “Perfumed Prince” Caught My Eye… (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Gunny G: Ok, Who Is Cia Director David Pretraeus ? (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- GUNNY G: FYI: To Gunny G’s Readers Re Dead-End Links Due To $/Subscription Articles/Blogs… (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- If I Were the Devil: Paul Harvey (Warning for a Nation) (audio) (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Newt: Obama’s goal is $8 or $9 gas (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Who Will Stop the Power-Mad Man in the White House? (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- The Patriot Webmaster’s Creed (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Communism Comes To America Earlier Than We Think | revisedhistory (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- ( CLICK 4 PICS!!!!!) ~ Painting of Obama Trampling Constitution Resurfaces, Artist’s New Work Tells ‘Enslaved’ Americans to ‘Wake Up!’ – Yahoo! News (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Timothy N. Baldwin — Candidate for Montana Attorney General, Jim Shockley, Holds Shocking View of the Constitution (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- A Different Philosophy of Civil Disobedience | Veterans Today (msarroub.wordpress.com)
- Citizen Blogger, Gunny G: Request Assistance of Real Americans To Become Citizen Bloggers USA! It’s lonesome out here!. (genomega1.wordpress.com)
- Your Papers, Please! (gunnygcops.wetpaint.com)
- GUNNY G: And So, The Question as to Just When Communism/Socialism Arose In America? (johnmalcolm.me)
- (“Obama should likely be behind bars with the results of multiple felonies he is alleged to have committed.Unfortunately…”) What are the odds Obama is Ineligible to run again for president? | Western Journalism.com (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- GUNNY G: And So, The Question as to Just When Communism/Socialism Arose In America? (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Armed Feds Question Blogger… (gunnygcops.wetpaint.com)
- The Shifting Ethics of Law Enforcement (gunnygcops.wetpaint.com)
- Ron Paul’s Stealth State Convention Takeover (economicpolicyjournal.com)