Prominent Fox News Channel anchor Bret Baier has posted an explanation on the network’s website of why he believes Barack Obama is eligible to be president.
“Here’s the deal,” wrote Baier, host of “Special Report with Bret Baier.” “The Constitution requires that the president be a ‘natural born citizen,’ but does not define the term. That job is left to federal law, in 8 U.S. Code, Section 1401. All the law requires is that the mother be an American citizen who has lived in the U.S. for five years or more, at least two of those years after the age of 14. If the mother fits those criteria, the child is a U.S. citizen at birth, regardless of the father’s nationality.”
However, Harvard-educated Jerome Corsi, author of Where’s the Birth Certificate? says Baier isn’t quite on track yet.
“Baier incorrectly interprets that 8 USC Section 1401 was written to define ‘natural born citizen,’ as specified in Article 2, Section 1 of the Constitution,” he said. “The purpose of 8 USC Section 1401 is to define ‘nationals’ and ‘citizens’ of the United States ‘at birth.’”
Corsi explained that citizens at birth are not “natural born citizens” under the meaning of Article 2, Section 1.
“Nowhere in 8 USC Section 1401 does Congress make any mention of the term ‘natural born citizen’ or to Article 2, Section 1,” Corsi said.
See all of those who have made statements about Obama’s eligibility, in The BIG LIST.
Baier, who took over the time slot from Brit Hume in January 2009, previously was the network’s chief White House correspondent. Prior to that he was national security correspondent, reporting on defense, military and intelligence community issues. He has reported from Iraq 12 times and from Afghanistan 13 times.
He said he posted the information because of all of the questions being raised about Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., and Louisiana Republican Gov. Bobby Jindal and whether they qualify as “natural born citizens.”
“This is obviously getting a lot of attention … so we think we should do a full piece on the show about it … and maybe have a panel of constitutional scholars … and legal experts to discuss this,” he wrote.
“There obviously is a lot of confusion.”
He said, “The brouhaha over President Obama’s birth certificate – has revealed a widespread ignorance of some of the basics of American citizenship……………..
- Bret explains “natural born citizen” requirements for president and vice president (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Fox News anchor declares Obama is eligible (wnd.com)
- Rubio, Amnesty and Article II (“…there is a reason why members of congress tried to alter the Natural Born Citizen requirement at least eight times in the run-up to Obama’s fraudulent election in 2008 – why leftists insist that the founders meant “anchor (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Contesting Obama Presidential Eligibility – Birther and Constitutionalist Claims, Continue To be Genuine (moralmatters.org)
- JB Williams – Rubio, Amnesty and Article II (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- What is a natural born citizen? (EndtheLie.com)
- Natural Born Citizen? (Parts 1 & 2) (johnmalcolm.me)
- Natural Born Citizen – A Place to Ask Questions and Get the Right Answers: All That Is Wrong with Georgia State Judge Michael M. Malihi’s Decision that Putative President Obama Is a “Natural Born Citizen” (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- New sheriff calls for roundup of Obama records (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Judge Malihi Rules Against Plaintiffs: Says Obama Born In Hawaii Therefore Natural Born Citizen (gunnyg.wordpress.com)