Prison Planet.com » Tech Giant Warns CISPA Is “Alarming” Threat to Privacy
Tech giant Mozilla has publicly slammed the Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA) which passed the House last week, labeling the legislation an “alarming” threat to privacy.
Tech Giant Warns CISPA Is Alarming Threat to Privacy 2120099526 1816a7a632
“While we wholeheartedly support a more secure Internet, CISPA has a broad and alarming reach that goes far beyond Internet security. The bill infringes on our privacy, includes vague definitions of cybersecurity, and grants immunities to companies and government that are too broad around information misuse. We hope the Senate takes the time to fully and openly consider these issues with stakeholder input before moving forward with this legislation,” Mozilla, which is best known for its Firefox browser, said in a statement.
The statement is important because it marks the first time any Silicon Valley entity has denounced CISPA, with an array of powerful companies lining up in support of the legislation which passed the US House of Representatives 248 to 168 and now heads to the Senate.
Facebook, Microsoft, IBM, Intel, Oracle, Symantec, AT&T and Verizon have all backed the bill, with Microsoft re-affirming its support yesterday after rumors the company was getting cold feet, while Google has refused to take either side…………………
- Mozilla slams CISPA, says the bill “infringes on our privacy.” (forbes.com)
- Mozilla is First Major Tech Company to Denounce CISPA (dmxzone.com)
- Mozilla comes out against CISPA, says ‘the bill infringes on our privacy’ (theverge.com)
- Tech Giant Warns CISPA Is “Alarming” Threat to Privacy (mountainrepublic.net)
- Mozilla is first major tech company to denounce CISPA (news.cnet.com)
- Tech support for CISPA wobbles as Microsoft calls for privacy safeguards (rawstory.com)
- Microsoft backs off CISPA support: Does it matter? (digitaltrends.com)
- Microsoft Denies Distancing Itself From CISPA (itproportal.com)
- Microsoft says tone on CISPA the same despite likely veto (electronista.com)
- Prison Planet.com ” Red Alert: Draconian CISPA Bill Picking Up Sponsors Ahead of Vote Next Week (gunnyg.wordpress.com)