WASHINGTON – On the same day that President Barack Obama declared his support for same-sex marriage, the House Armed Services Committee backed measures prohibiting the practice on U.S. military bases.
The panel stepped into the gays in the military issue as it considered a sweeping, $642 billion defense bill for next year that buys new weapons, ships and aircraft, increases military pay by 1.7 percent and sets policies for the Pentagon. The committee worked through the day Wednesday and into the early morning Thursday on the legislation that adds billions of dollars to the president’s budget request.
Excerpt Read more at foxnews.com …
- Barack Obama speaks out and declares support for same-sex marriage – The Guardian (guardian.co.uk)
- Barack Obama speaks out and declares support for same-sex marriage (guardian.co.uk)
- Barack Obama speaks out and declares support for same-sex marriage | World news | guardian.co.uk (2012indyinfo.com)
- Obama first U.S. president to back same-sex marriage (ctv.ca)
- Obama says same-sex marriage should be legal (sfgate.com)
- Obama: ‘I think same-sex couples should be able to get married’ (firstread.msnbc.msn.com)
- Coming Out To Support Gay Marriage (annem040359.wordpress.com)
- Obama Comes Out for Same-Sex Marriage (slog.thestranger.com)
- Same-sex marriage up for debate in 3 states as primaries get underway (bazaardaily.com)
- North Carolina bans same-sex marriage (bazaardaily.com)