I’ve been somewhat surprised by the absolutely hysterical reaction among some RP activists to Ron Paul’s announcement that he’s shifting resources toward winning more delegates instead of blowing it on straw polls in new primaries. In some of the forums, alleged “supporters” are hurling insults at both Ron and his staffers.
I remember how after 2008, some people I talked to pledged to “never give money ever again” to Ron Paul because he “wasn’t serious” about winning. These people think elections are all that matter, but that’s not how political and intellectual movements work. The election of numerous libertarian candidates will be a lagging indicator, not a leading indicator, of the success of a libertarian movement. The population still isn’t there. Although it will be.
It’s absolutely unbelievable that some people who claim to be champions of freedom are now viciously badmouthing a man who can claim much credit in making libertarianism a household word – as it now is – and has been instrumental in building the most important challenge to central banking and the warfare state in a century. All of this is in addition to taking control of the GOP machinery in numerous states and cong. districts.
I might also note that I turned on the tele the other day and there was Ron Paul talking about central banking. Note to newcomer activists: I know it’s hard to believe, but before RP’s 2008 run, there was once a time when libertarians weren’t on TV regularly talking about Austrian free-market economics and the evils of war. I swear it’s true. Cross my heart and hope to die.
Politically, Ron Paul is doing what the Religious Right successfully did 20 years ago when it became a major force in the party, and he’s rebuilding the intellectual infrastructure of the American right wing in a way similar to what Buckley did in the 1950s. Except, where Buckley only pretended to be for the rule of law and limited government, Ron Paul is the real thing. And Paul’s even doing it without CIA money, unlike Buckley. RP’s the continuation of the old libertarian movement that existed in opposition to war and the New Deal before it was hijacked by the conservative apologists for the state.
Except now, instead of being composed of a few dozen guys who could all have met in a small hotel ballroom, the movement for peace and freedom is a huge nationwide movement.
Anyone who, like me, teaches people in their twenties can already see a huge change. The ideas of libertarianism have a credibility they have not had in decades, if not not since the late 19th century when Herbert Spencer was a best-selling author in America.
- Ron Paul is done, almost (newstatesman.com)
- Ron Paul 2012 Update: The Campaign Continues; the Ball Is in Romney’s Court (ronpaul.com)
- Some Historical Perspective for Ron Paul Activists (ronpaulnews.net)
- Some Historical Perspective for Ron Paul Activists and the Future of the Movement (notesandobservations.me)
- Hey, Paulians (lewrockwell.com)
- Zogby: Youth are Libertarian & Paulian in Views (economicpolicyjournal.com)
- (PHOTOS!!!!!) Ron Paul’s Mega Crowds… No Media Coverage! | Veterans Today (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Ron Paul Has Not Suspended His Campaign (ronpaul.com)
- (“Ron Paul Or No One At All”) Idaho Ron Paul Supporters Plan To Take Control of State Convention by Joe Wolverton, II (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Ron, the Crooked Republicans Are Unworthy of You (lewrockwell.com)
- Ron, Don’t Let Your Heroic Effort End in Tampa (lewrockwell.com)
- Why I Can’t Stand Ron Paul (thedailybanter.com)
- Ron Paul Supporters, Beware (lewrockwell.com)
- What We Are Left With – Is Ron Paul Better or Worse Than Romney? (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- GUNNY G: How Many Presently Calling Themselves (and others) CONSERVATIVES MAY Not BE Even Good Americans! (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Prison Planet.com ” How Ron Paul’s McGovernite strategy can win on Super Tuesday … and beyond (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Ron Paul Urges Supporters to Continue Fighting (usnews.com)
- Prison Planet.com ” Is Rand Paul Secretly Running For President? (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- (“The Treatment of Ron Paul and Stephen Harper in Engineering the Political Economy of North America”) Election Fraud, Media Deception, and the Crisis of Conservatism | Veterans Today (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- What Does Ron Paul Have Against Gary Johnson? (thedailybeast.com)
- Jack Hunter – Moving Forward: Mitt Romney, Tampa And The Revolution (runronpaul.com)
- Did Ron Paul Change the Republican Party? (commentarymagazine.com)
- The Story of Ron Paul’s Presidential Candidacy as Told by His Supporters in Swampland’s Comments Section (swampland.time.com)
- See No Evil: A Ron Paul White Wash (thedailybeast.com)
- Moving Forward: Mitt Romney, Tampa And The Revolution…By Jack Hunter (dailypaul.com)
- Internet Vs. The Machine: Ron Paul’s Social Media Revolution Still Can’t Topple The Status Quo (forbes.com)
- Ron Paul 2012 To Pursue Delegate Strategy Despite Suspending Active Campaigning (ibtimes.com)
- Watch Zombie Ayn Rand Eat the Brains of College Students (crooksandliars.com)
- Libertarians Find Their Audience In 2012 Race (wnyc.org)
- Ron Paul: ‘Our campaign will continue to work in the state convention process’ (kansascity.com)
- Ron Paul Campaign Condemns ‘Hostile Takeover’ of State Delegate Conventions (usnews.com)
- Ayn Rand would hate Ron Paul (trutherator.wordpress.com)
- Ron Paul: Energizer Bunny of US Politics for Good Reason (ronpaulnews.net)