Cops Don’t Make Me Feel Safe ~ We Have More To Fear From Cops Than from criminals, says Eric Peters.
It has been said – and I agree – that the typical person (i.e., the person just trying to get through the day, do their thing) has more to fear from a cop than a (non-official, non-uniformed) criminal.
Harsh? No, a reality check.
I’m in my mid-40s and – so far – have not been robbed at gunpoint by an ordinary criminal. But I have been robbed at gunpoint literally dozens of times by cops, who have a license to rob me. Cumulatively, the total I’ve had to “stand and deliver” – in the felicitous phrase of the appropriately named highway robber of yore – comes to thousands of dollars, over the past twenty-something years. It’s dressed up, of course – in order to make the cop feel better about himself and what he’s doing (he’s just keeping us safe, etc.) and also to douse the rage of his victim by getting him to accept what’s done to him as something other than it is.
That being, a robbery at gunpoint.
After all, I have committed no crime, properly speaking. I have caused no harm to anyone. Yet I am molested by a guy in a uniform – with a gun on his hip – because he has noticed I am not wearing a seat belt, or because my vehicle does not have the requisite tax stamps upon it, or because my velocity is greater than the velocity posted on a sign. It may not be any of these things. It may be simply that I happen to be on a given road at a given time. I – and all the others who happen to be on that road at that time – are forcibly compelled to interrupt our journey, roll down our windows and submit to a roadside inspection-interrogation, with the implicit threat of lethal violence if we fail in the slightest way to Submit and Obey.
It does not make me feel safe. Does it make you feel safe?
I do not especially fear louty-looking thugs approaching me on the street. I’m not a tough guy, but I am a bigger than average guy – and I usually carry a big gun. If the thugs come at me, I am reassured by my physical capacity to resist and defend myself – and also by the fact that the law is still (for the moment) on my side, should I be forced to defend myself. I know I have a shot, at least. It may not be a fair fight (what fight is?) but at least I can fight…………
- Cops Don’t Make Me Feel Safe (ericpetersautos.com)
- They Can Do Almost Anything (lewrockwell.com)
- COPS: Teen Tries To Rob Officer At Gunpoint — Inside Police Station! (dfw.cbslocal.com)
- How a 90-Year-Old Dealt With the Cops (lewrockwell.com)
- Differ With the State? You Must Be Sick (lewrockwell.com)
- Dollar General store robbed at gunpoint (click2houston.com)
- Yonkers Pharmacy Robbed at Gunpoint (myfoxny.com)
- Woman reportedly robbed at gunpoint on Patton Road (al.com)
- ‘Click It’ campaign means cops watching for seat belts, more (kansas.com)
- Cops, Race, Reporters (lewrockwell.com)
- When America Went Crazy by Eric Peters (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- The Rat Bike ~ Vroom, Vroom By: Eric Peters on cheap, fun transportation in tough times. (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- (“Imagine 80 MPG? Don’t…government will never allow such a drastic reduction in its tax-haul, says Eric Peters.”) Is the Government Really Concerned About ‘Gas Mileage’? by Eric Peters (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Risk Is Not Dangerous by Eric Peters (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Voting Is Not the Problem… Americans Are the Problem by Eric Peters (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- What Else Will the Feds Force Us to Buy at Gunpoint? (lewrockwell.com)