…..In response to Hackworth’s investigation of Admiral Boorda, CNN and the CBS Evening News with Dan Rather questioned the accuracy of Hackworth’s own military decorations. In particular, the reports accused Hackworth of claiming a Ranger Tab to which he was not entitled and an extra Distinguished Flying Cross on his website.
Hackworth threatened to sue CBS and requested a formal audit of his military records. In response to the military audit, the Executive Producer of CBS News sent a letter to Hackworth that stated:
The Army’s audit of its records has determined that the Army made an administrative error back in 1988, when it reissued your medals and awards. Along with numerous other decorations, the Army mistakenly issued you a Ranger Tab and two Oak Leaf Clusters for your Distinguished Flying Cross. The Army has thus verified what we reported as your explanation of the matter.
As far as we are concerned, the Army audit makes clear that you did not at any time wear or claim any military honor not actually issued by the U.S. Army, based on its official records, including the service record you signed and dated. At the same time, CBS continues to believe that our reports did not state or imply that you knowingly wore or claimed decorations not issued by the U.S. Army and that any such inference drawn from the reports would be mistaken.
Similarly, we do not believe our reports in any way equated your conduct with that of the late Admiral Boorda’s. Indeed, as we believe we made clear in our reports, by all accounts you are a man who has shown extraordinary heroism in your service to our country, and has deservedly been awarded many of the nation’s most coveted awards for valor.
In 2002, Hackworth was asked about the controversy in an interview with Proceedings. In the interview he stated:…….
- (Adm Boorda) Gunny G’s Marines History and Traditions: Articles By Tom McKenney, LtCol USMC (Ret.), 1997, etc. (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- “The Day Admiral Boorda Died” – 16 Years Later and Still No Autopsy or “Suicide” Letters Released (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Gunny G: Col Hackworth’s Term “Perfumed Prince” Caught My Eye… (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Gunny G’s Marines History and Traditions: Adm Boorda, Col Hackworth, and now Gen Wesley Clark (Ret) (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Gunny G’s Marines History and Traditions: Hackworth’s error Compared To Boorda Case (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Lies, Damn Lies, Security Metrics, And Baseball (blogs.forrester.com)
- This day in WND History: May 5 (wnd.com)
- Gunny G: The Term “Perfumed Prince” Caught My Eye… (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Articles about Admiral Boorda – Baltimore Sun (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Grand Delusion ” Admiral Boorda (gunnyg.wordpress.com)