According to Congressman Darrell Issa, there are some 80,000 pages of information now in the possession of the D.O.J. Inspector General as she continues to feign an official investigation into the Fast and Furious-related activities of her longtime friend, Eric Holder.
But Issa’s House Government Affairs Committee has received only about 6,000 related pages from the DOJ, many redacted to the point of irrelevance, and some little more than reprints of articles published long ago by members of the mainstream media.Issa has filed numerous subpoenas demanding that the Attorney General turn over those documents the Committee knows to have been withheld. But Holder has refused to produce them, telling the Committee quite bluntly that they will get nothing dated after February 4th of 2011. As result of the Attorney General’s arrogant refusal, Issa has threatened Holder with Contempt of Congress proceedings.
For some time, it has been suggested that House Speaker John Boehner and fellow Republican leaders have quietly “discouraged” the Contempt of Congress filing against the Attorney General from going forward. This suspicion was confirmed when CBS News reported the Republican leadership would “…slow [Issa’s] drive to hold the attorney general in contempt over the controversial Fast and Furious program …” for a period of “a month or even longer…”Some believe that Republican reluctance to move ahead results from not having the necessary votes in the full House. Others are concerned that the contempt filing would be “off message.” Representative Dan Burton made it clear that the leadership wanted to focus on the economy rather than the criminal nature of the Attorney General. And no small number believe Speaker Boehner just doesn’t have the guts to bring a contempt charge in an election year.But now we finally know the truth. According to Roll Call, “a GOP aide…warned against a racial backlash if Republicans are seen as unfairly targeting the first black attorney general, who is serving the first black president. ‘Especially after Trayvon,’ the aide said, referring to the slain Florida teenager Trayvon Martin.” Certainly, the aide didn’t just make up this story. He must be repeating what he has heard from GOP legislators.And if that is indeed the case, it seems that Republicans are more concerned about the reaction of the national media and the nation’s blacks than with…………
- IT’S OFFICIAL – John Boehner is stalling Fast and Furious contempt citation of Eric Holder (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Speaker Boehner protects Eric Holder from Contempt of Congress citation…again (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Rep. Issa might not have the votes to push forward Holder contempt charge (thehill.com)
- Conservative Reps Plan To Push House Leadership Toward Contempt Resolution For Holder (nicedeb.wordpress.com)
- Conservatives Push Back On Boehner (huffingtonpost.com)
- Boehner: All options on table in gun-running probe (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Boehner: ‘All Options Are On The Table’ In Contentious Investigation (huffingtonpost.com)
- Bob’s Musings: Playing Catch-Up And Ketchup (thecampofthesaints.org)
- Gunwalker Update: Waiting For Godot, Working Around Boehner (thepatriotperspective.wordpress.com)
- House Oversight Chair Issa May Not Have The Votes To Move His Anti-Holder Witchhunt Out Of Committee (thinkprogress.org)