Police Brutality During Chicago NATO Summit | Veterans Today
by Stephen Lendman
NATO arrives everywhere violently. Chicago was no exception. Residents were terrorized for days.
Many are still recovering. For some, it’s from hospital beds. Others are behind bars. Chicago cops upheld their odious reputation. The city is notorious for being America’s police repression capital.
On May 25, the National Lawyers Guild (NLG) Chicago chapter assessed days of police brutality. More on that below.
Former NLG leader Arthur Kinoy (1920 – 2003) spoke for like-minded activists, saying:
“We, as lawyers, are fighting to keep the First Amendment alive in the legal arena. The people are fighting to keep the First Amendment alive in the streets, in their homes, in the factories, in the legislative halls, in the political arena.”
Given today’s climate in America and other Western societies, the struggle is sorely tested. Police brutality during Chicago’s NATO summit highlighted a repeated problem nationwide.
Activist struggles are targeted. Cops are enforcers for crime bosses. Constitutional rights no longer matter. They’re more artifact than reality.
On May 17, an NLG press release condemned a preemptive Bridgeport neighborhood raid. At least eight arrests were made. No one committed a crime.
Witnesses said cops burst into a six-unit apartment building violently with no search warrant. Doing so is illegal. They entered an apartment guns drawn.
One tenant was tackled in his kitchen. Two were handcuffed for two hours in their living room while police searched their apartment and a neighboring one.
A search warrant produced four hours later had no authorizing signature. Beer-making supplies and cell phones were seized………….
- Prison Planet.com ” Chicago Cops Disappear Activists Ahead of NATO War Council (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Chicago Police Brutality at NATO Summit (aboriginalpress.wordpress.com)
- Police Brutality During Chicago NATO Summit (sjlendman.blogspot.com)
- Disturbing Police Brutality Targeted Journalists at NATO Summit (theintelhub.com)
- Police Brutality During Chicago NATO Summit (activistpost.com)
- Post-NATO Summit Roundup: Police Brutality, Repression & More (dissenter.firedoglake.com)
- NLG NATO HOTLINE | nlgchicago.org (aboriginalpress.wordpress.com)
- Disturbing police brutality targeted journalists at NATO summit (EndtheLie.com)
- Disturbing police brutality targeted journalists at NATO summit (activistpost.com)
- Chicago: America’s Police Repression Capital (activistpost.com)