A massive experimental drone designed by Boeing Co. engineers to fly for up to four days at a time completed its first test flight above the Mojave Desert at Edwards Air Force Base.
The drone, called Phantom Eye, and its hydrogen-fueled propulsion system have the potential to vastly expand the reach of military spy craft. The longest that reconnaissance planes can stay in the air now is about 30 hours.
In the test flight, which took place Friday, the Phantom Eye circled above Edwards at about 4,080 feet above Edwards for 28 minutes. After touching down, the vehicle had problems when the landing gear dug into the lake bed and broke…………
- FAA Grants Clearance For Virgin Galactic Test Flights (forbes.com)
- Video: Boeing’s Phantom Eye spy plane rolls closer to flight (geekwire.com)
- Hydrogen-powered plane completes taxi test (upi.com)
- Boeing’s Phantom Eye goes for a low ride (news.cnet.com)
- Boeing’s Phantom Eye revolutionary drone eyes its first flight (theaviationist.com)
- Sierra Nevada Corporation Begins Flight Test Program Of The Dream Chaser Orbital Crew Vehicle (spacefellowship.com)
- Us Navy’s “Ufo-like” Stealth Drone Takes Flight (socyberty.com)
- Lockheed delivers two F-35 jets to Florida base (star-telegram.com)
- Prison Planet.com ” Surveillance Drone Industry Prepares Propaganda Blitz (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Pilotless planes project begins test flights over Irish Sea (guardian.co.uk)