Bill Clinton: Extend all tax cuts temporarily
Former President Bill Clinton said Tuesday that broad tax cuts that expire in January should be temporarily renewed, including for the wealthiest Americans, to give lawmakers time to reach a deal on a longer-term extension that should exclude the rich.
Clinton’s comments were in contrast to President Barack Obama, whose re-election he is supporting. Obama has opposed renewing the tax reductions for people earning over $250,000 a year, saying they must contribute to the effort to control rampant federal deficits.
Reductions in income tax rates and other levies first enacted under President George W. Bush expire in January, at the same time that $1.2 trillion in automatic spending cuts begin to take effect. The nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office and others have warned that letting both events occur would suck so much money out of the economy that it could spark a renewed recession next year.
“What I think we need to do is to find some way to avoid the fiscal cliff, to avoid doing anything that would contract the economy now, and then deal with what’s necessary in the long-term debt reduction plan as soon as they can, which presumably will be after the election,” Clinton said on CNBC’s “Closing Bell With Maria Bartiromo.”
(Excerpt) Read more at google.com …
- Vetting Hillary and Bill Clinton (canadafreepress.com)
- Marine veteran arrested at Bill Clinton rally for Tom Barrett (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Romney Campaign Creates An Imaginary Bill Clinton Twitter Account (politicker.com)
- Bill Clinton says a Mitt Romney presidency would be ‘calamitous for our country and the world’ (dailykos.com)
- Bill Clinton as Surrogate Causing Problems for Obama (canadafreepress.com)
- Bill Clinton: A Romney Presidency Would Be “Calamitous” For The World (alan.com)
- Another DECEPTIVE Karl Rove Crossroad Ad: DEBT DECEPTION Personified (3chicspolitico.com)
- The Veiled Message in Clinton’s Endorsement (whitehouse12.com)
- Bill Clinton plays the Cory Booker card – Stop being mean to Bain Capital (americablog.com)
- Bill Clinton says Romney qualified to run, but Obama better (gunnyg.wordpress.com)