Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal is rising as Mitt Romney’s possible pick for vice president, according to campaign sources.
Last month, Americans for Tax Reform President Grover Norquist touted Jindal for the vice presidential slot in an opinion piece for Politico.
Norquist tells me he wrote the piece knowing that “Jindal is a leading option.”
Jindal is rarely mentioned in speculation about Romney’s possible choice. A rising star in the Republican Party, he suffered a setback when he bombed delivering the Republican response to President Barack Obama’s first speech to Congress on Feb. 24, 2009.
Adding Jindal to the Republican presidential ticket would bring to Romney’s fold neither a swing state nor a major ethnic minority. But such political considerations are not foremost in Romney’s mind. He has said he is only interested in choosing a candidate who would make a good president.
As he constantly points out, Romney is a conservative businessman, not a politician. He amassed a fortune of more than $200 million not by making cynical political calculations but by looking for the best — often novel — opportunities and by hiring people based on character, competence, and quality.
Jindal qualifies on all counts — and has an inspiring life story that epitomizes the American dream.
Jindal’s mother Raj was three months pregnant with him when his parents came to this country from Punjab, India in 1971. The daughter of a bank manager, Raj had a scholarship to study for a doctorate in nuclear physics at Louisiana State University.
(Excerpt) Read more at newsmax.com …
- Lessons Learned from Wisconsin Recall (ConservativeActionAlerts.com)
- Who should Romney tap for understudy? (politico.com)
- Grover Norquist endorses Bobby Jindal as Romney’s running mate (abcnews.go.com)
- Should Bobby Jindal be Mitt Romney’s VP pick?: On Politics (videos.nola.com)
- Jindal possible Romney running-mate (supertradmum-etheldredasplace.blogspot.com)
- Why Mitt Romney should tap Bobby Jindal – Politico (politico.com)
- A Most Likely Vice Presidential Nominee: White House 2012 Looks at Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal (whitehouse12.com)
- Norquist defends tax pledge following Jeb Bush remarks (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
- Preening Jindal Jumps On Romney Bandwagon (dailykingfish.com)
- Bobby Jindal: Latest Target For Romney’s VP (inquisitr.com)