Perhaps that’s Rand’s idea of playing politics? Come to the table, strike a deal, get what you can. Trouble is, it’s tough striking a good deal when the guy on the other side of the table believes that the government should be allowed to claim — without having to produce any evidence whatsoever — that certain people are terrorists, and therefore should be detained indefinitely without any kind of due process.
That’s textbook tyranny.
The Trouble with Rand Paul
Yes, I would have [signed the NDAA]. And I do believe that it is appropriate to have in our nation the capacity to detain people who are threats to this country, who are members of al Qaeda. Look, you have every right in this country to protest and to express your views on a wide range of issues but you don’t have a right to join a group that has killed Americans, and has declared war against America. That’s treason. In this country we have a right to take those people and put them in jail. If I were president I would not abuse this power. But people who join al Qaeda are not entitled to rights of due process under our normal legal code. They are entitled instead to be treated as enemy combatants.
Except, if the government had any evidence they were really members of al-Qaeda and engaged in a war against America they could be charged with offenses under current laws and tried in front of a jury of their peers.
As was proven when Judge Katherine Forrest struck down the indefinite detention provision of the NDAA as unconstitutional, the real detention targets are people like the ones who brought the case — writers, investigative journalist and whistleblowers: people like Chris Hedges, Noam Chomsky, Daniel Ellsberg, Jennifer Bolen, and Birgitta Jonsdottir.
Rand Paul might have done some good work trying to filibuster the Patriot Act, but endorsing Mitt Romney goes beyond the pale. The NDAA is Romney’s most egregious transgression against liberty, but not far behind are his desire to start a war against Iran, to increase military spending, to start a trade war with China and his belief that corporations are people.
- Rand Paul Betrayed Someone. But Who? (sgtreport.com)
- Prison Planet.com ” Ron Paul, Don’t Destroy Yourself (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- The Trouble with Rand Paul (sgtreport.com)
- Prison Planet.com ” Ron Paul Supporters Decry Rand’s Endorsement of Romney (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Guest Post: The Trouble with Rand Paul (zerohedge.com)
- Rand Paul apoia Mitt Romney (oinsurgente.org)
- Rand Paul Sells Out His Father And Endorses Mitt Romney! (newsworldwide.wordpress.com)
- Dad still “first choice”, but Rand Paul backs Romney (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Prison Planet.com ” Rand Paul: There’s a ‘sickness’ in the country (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Rand Paul Endorses Mitt Romney!😦 (ronpaul.com)
- Dad still “first choice”, but Rand Paul backs Romney (news.yahoo.com)
- TRENDING: Sen. Rand Paul endorses Romney (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
- Rand Paul: Would be ‘an honor’ to be Romney’s VP (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
- Ron Paul Supporters Are Fuming Mad at Rand Paul (theatlanticwire.com)
- Rand Paul endorses Mitt Romney; Twitter responses: Yay! Boo! Huh? (twitchy.com)
- Sen. Rand Paul endorses Romney in 2012 race (EndtheLie.com)
- Ron Paul, Don’t Destroy Yourself and Sex Slavery Exposed! (animalsclubfreedom.typepad.com)
- Ron Paul, Don’t Destroy Yourself (wrc559.com)
- Sen. Rand Paul Endorses Mitt Romney (huffingtonpost.com)
- Rand Paul Endorses Mitt Romney, Ron Paul Admits He Lacks Number Of Deleates For Nomination (whitenewsnow.com)
- Rand Paul Backs Romney: Ron Paul to Follow? (ibtimes.com)
- Rand Paul Sells Out To Mitt Romney – 9 June 2012 (lucas2012infos.wordpress.com)
- Rand Paul endorses Romney’s bid (upi.com)
- Rand Endorses Mitt [& Libertarians Puke] (sgtreport.com)
- Rand Paul Endorses Mitt Romney; Would Prefer Dad (thehollywoodgossip.com)
- Rand Paul endorses Romney, but dad ‘still my first pick’ (news.yahoo.com)