Why Obama Will Free Jonathan Pollard
The US Department of Justice has released new files about convicted spy Jonathan Pollard’s bid for presidential clemency. Pollard was sentenced to life in prison in 1987 after passing more than a million highly classified documents to Israel while working as an intelligence analyst for the US Navy. Documents in the Freedom of Information Act response (PDF) reference 32 pages of government agency deliberative communications and 37 pages of new communications between Pardon Attorney Ronald Rogers and Pollard’s legal team — all produced since July of 2011. While the contents have been withheld, their existence signals that the Pollard commutation request may be nearing a conclusion within the Obama administration.
June 18 could mark the culmination of a massive lobbying campaign for release. Obama’s dismal record on Israeli accountability suggests Pollard will soon walk free.
(Excerpt) Read more at warincontext.org …
- Obama: no plans to release Jonathan Pollard (thejc.com)
- Jonathan Pollard Returned from Hospital (israelnationalnews.com)
- Why Obama Will Free Jonathan Pollard (theuglytruth.wordpress.com)
- Why Obama Might Free Jonathan Pollard This Month (thepassionateattachment.com)
- Why Obama Will Free Jonathan Pollard (original.antiwar.com)
- Antisemitism in American politics, part 3: the Pollard Show Trial (blogs.jpost.com)
- U.S. Jewish leader: Release of convicted Israeli spy Jonathan Pollard is ‘inevitable’ (haaretz.com)
- Will Obama pardon the traitor Pollard? (turcopolier.typepad.com)
- Pressure mounts on Peres to push for Pollard release (timesofisrael.com)
- Barney Frank and Gary Ackerman push Obama to free Pollard (mondoweiss.net)