It is not for federal judges to redefine marriage for us. When they do, it is tantamount to cultural suicide, and we should not be surprised at the cultural and social degradation sure to follow.
William Bennett writes in his book The De-Valuing of Society, “Our common culture … embodies truths that most Americans can recognize and examine for themselves. These truths are passed down from generation to generation, transmitted in the family, in the classroom, and in our churches and synagogues.” But the truths of our culture and the traditional American family are now being attacked and demagogued like never before in our history in the name of “tolerance” and “rights.”
Granting homosexuals a newly created “right” to marry will have unimaginable detrimental effects on society. The fact that the federal courts have no constitutional authority to grant rights is only one aspect of the problem. They positively have no authority to define marriage for us.
It is really no surprise that it has come to this. After all, we have been given many such rulings by the courts in the past: no-fault divorce, abortion “rights,” and nude dancing in public and burning the flag – the latter both defined as “free speech.” This is what happens when the Constitution is understood to be a “living document.”
The fact is that no court, no lawyer and no churchman can redefine marriage or grant new rights based on a new definition of marriage. Their pronouncements to the contrary, marriage is what it is and nothing else; and when these judgments are disconnected from any moral grounding, a just and decent society should not respect or accept them.
(Excerpt) Read more at lifesitenews.com …
- Getting Marriage Back (jimrenke.com)
- Church of England accused of scaremongering over gay marriage (guardian.co.uk)
- Gay marriage is one of worst threats in 500 years, says Church of England (independent.co.uk)
- Redefining marriage to include same-sex couples would benefit nobody | John Sentamu (guardian.co.uk)
- Will it end with homosexual marriage? (fellowshipofminds.wordpress.com)
- Alabama Senator Wants To Redefine Marriage (lezgetreal.com)
- Gay marriage raises prospect of disestablishment, says Church of England (telegraph.co.uk)
- John Foster Way: Same-sex marriage issue is economic (norwichbulletin.com)
- Dr John Sentamu: gay marriage plans are for ’emotional need’ not righting injustice (telegraph.co.uk)
- Frosty Wooldridge – How to Destroy America: A Speech by Governor Lamm (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Sentenced to Death for Being Old (treeofmamre.wordpress.com)
- Social Security and Medicare Could Run Out Sooner Than Expected (abcnews.go.com)
- DirectLaw Founder Richard Granat Receives American Bar Association’s Louis M. Brown Lifetime Achievement Award for Legal Access (prweb.com)
- No, Mr. President, Same-sex Couples Cannot Marry (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Encounters With Great Recordings Of The Twentieth Century, #1: Pere Ubu, “The Modern Dance” (Release date, January 1978, date of acquisition, some time around January 1978) (somecamerunning.typepad.com)
- N.J. spinal surgeon accused of practicing without proper training may face suspension (nj.com)
- Guest Blogger Kathy Cerminara: Coverage of Hospice Care as an Essential Health Benefit (lawprofessors.typepad.com)
- HOW TO DESTROY AMERICA: A SPEECH BY GOVERNOR LAMM By Frosty Wooldridge (gunnyg.wordpress.com)