Please Excuse My President
…. Three new books, each by authors favorably disposed to Obama, attempt to explain the declining arc of his presidency….
Taken together, these books offer a sense of what the president’s champions and defenders think has gone wrong, with Scheiber and Corn in particular beginning to suggest how liberals will rationalize Obama’s first term should his failures prove fatal to his securing a second.
First, these supporters of the president accuse him of the same sin they themselves committed: expecting too much from Barack Obama….
A third problem plaguing Obama, in the views of all three authors, is that the president has been simply too pure of heart, too reasonable, and insufficiently ruthless to enact his agenda. For example, in his failure to close Guantánamo Bay, Corn writes, “Obama never figured out how to counter and overcome demagoguery from both parties.” He is “unwilling to go for the cheap political point,” Obama’s top political aide, David Axelrod, is quoted as saying. “He cares more about the larger result and that’s antithetical to the gestalt of Washington. We take a lot of hits for that.”
(Excerpt) Read more at commentarymagazine.com …
- I’ve Got a Direct Line to the President: TELL ME WHAT YOU’D SAY! (blogher.com)
- Obama excuses 5th grader (politico.com)
- Axelrod says voters will judge Obama on actions (sfgate.com)
- Rock bottom: Obama hawking lunch with … David Axelrod (twitchy.com)
- David Axelrod Talks With John Heilemann: A Constitutional Amendment to Overturn Citizens United? (nymag.com)
- David Axelrod: Mitt Romney ‘Living On A Different Planet’ (huffingtonpost.com)
- Obama campaign plan for private sector? Hire more teachers, firefighters – Fox News (foxnews.com)
- Axelrod Plays Down Impact of Obama ‘Doing Fine’ Remark on Voters (bloomberg.com)
- The Coolest Absence Excuse Note Ever (neatorama.com)
- David Axelrod wins Triple Crown in question dodging (michellemalkin.com)