Obama signs beam of One World Trade Center
CNN) – With the under-construction One World Trade Center fast approaching its final height, President Barack Obama visited the New York tower Thursday to get an update on its growth and help prepare one of the finishing touches.
“It looks beautiful,” the president said to first lady Michelle Obama as they stood at a window on the 22nd floor and looked down on the National September 11 Memorial and Museum being built below.
Obama flew into New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport in the late afternoon and traveled by motorcade to the construction site for a briefing on the building, currently 104 stories and 1,300 feet tall — already the tallest structure in New York.
He was joined by New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg.
Obama also visited with workers representing over 60 labor unions working on the site as he signed one of the final steel beams to be installed as part of the building’s framework at the top of the tower.
(Excerpt) Read more at news8000.com …
- New Miami memorial in Brickell Ave. park honors 9/11 victims (miamiherald.com)
- A view from above — WTC workers gear up for Obama visit (cnn.com)
- PATH train service to WTC will be suspended due to President Obama’s visit (nj.com)
- Obama WTC Visit To Affect PATH Service (manhattan.ny1.com)
- Is 4 World Trade Center Better Than the Big One? Inside the Other Tower About to Top Out (observer.com)
- One World Trade Center To Become NYC’s Tallest Skyscraper (newyork.cbslocal.com)
- Small Fire Out at World Trade Center (abcnews.go.com)
- Obamas to check out progress at WTC site (newsday.com)
- Obamas to check out progress at WTC site (mysanantonio.com)
- President Obama To Visit One World Trade Center This Month (newyork.cbslocal.com)